Architect looking for job

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

MGM

Post by MGM »

To do list for the coming period:
  • finish portfolio
  • start looking for a job
  • pick up bass-playing again
  • start drawing again
  • work on getting my thesis on the trainshed of Amsterdam Central Station published
  • call students club and tell them I'm not a student anymore
  • have dinner at the restaurant where my cousin cooks
  • start sporting again

MGM

Post by MGM »

Oh, and for Wally: while there's no graduation gear, I did dress up nicely.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

*swoon* ;)

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

What's the job market like there (you're in Amsterdam right)?

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:*swoon* ;)
I second that. :D Lookin's sharp Mitch, lookin' sharp! ;)
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

He's in Rotterdam, which is Amsterdam's bitter enemy I believe. ^_^

MGM

Post by MGM »

Correct. But I don't really care about it all.
Anyway, job market is very poor. Last word was that all free lance and short-contracted architects are being laid of, which is 30%. And they expect another 20% to be in trouble after that. Basically it'll come down to luck.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Achieved today:

Called one of my old profs to make an appointment. Me and two friends of mine each have written an architecture thesis about the trainshed of a certain station. Now we're looking for a way to publish it.

The French Biscuit

MGM wrote:Achieved today:

Called one of my old profs to make an appointment. Me and two friends of mine each have written an architecture thesis about the trainshed of a certain station. Now we're looking for a way to publish it.
Well done!

What is the nature of your thesis? (I am not familiar with how architectural-type papers)
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

MGM

Post by MGM »

Well, it's not my main thesis. It's a course everyone has to take: write a thesis on a subject in architectural history. This can be about, say, the development and use of an architectural style (for example, the Bauhaus) or about a single building. The idea is that you unearth some new material or add something new to what's known by making connections, although a lot of teachers are satisfied by making an extract of a few books. Mine wasn't. Usually the idea is to write this thesis on a subject that has something to do with your final design project.

In my case this wasn't what happened. A friend of mine had a train station as final project and he wrote a thesis on the trainshed (not the building, the... shed over the tracks) and the disappearance of it, with emphasis on the trainshed of a station in The Hague. Another guy we know had a final project about an underground theatre in front of the train station of Haarlem. Because I was looking for a subject for my thesis, we went to the teacher and he suggested that the other guy would write something on the trainshed of the Haarlem station and I'd write about the trainshed of Amsterdam Central Station. In this case we'd have three stories bundled and with maybe something extra we're looking into publishing it. Could be fun.

But the main thesis in architecture is non-existant. It's a design project that lasts a year. The end product are drawings and scale models. Or, if you don't get your degree in architecture but in, say, building technology, you write a thesis on the subject you've studied for a year. I did that AND architecture, which means I've got two degrees. :D

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

MGM wrote:On an entirely different note: I just ordered the Sandman bookends. :D
.....ooooooo
O_O

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

The French Biscuit wrote:I second that. :D Lookin's sharp Mitch, lookin' sharp! ;)
Yup! And may I say, spiffy? :D

MGM

Post by MGM »

LOL, sure, you may spiffy.
Tyran-ne wrote:.....ooooooo
O_O
I know!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

MGM wrote:Correct. But I don't really care about it all.
Anyway, job market is very poor. Last word was that all free lance and short-contracted architects are being laid of, which is 30%. And they expect another 20% to be in trouble after that. Basically it'll come down to luck.
That's really rough; sorry man. Will you try to rough it by getting a job in another field to pay the bills while you try to get your foot in the door in the architectural field?

Nice Sandman bookends btw. I'm not big on bookends but those look cool. I usually don't go for busts. I like whole statues and though I haven't seen any statues I'd like to buy I have seen plenty of cool ones.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Mitch! I've got your first official non-paying job for you! Ready?

You should design a BX Headquarters! Sure we gather here on the internets but we there is no physical space for us gather- but that could change. You, our resident architect, could create it!

Within the BX Building you could create/design individual living quarters for the regulars who post here (taking into account their personal tastes and perversions) within the BX Building.

It's genius isn't it?

*Pats self on the back* :D

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

I insist that Jack gets some consideration in this venture. He's always wanted an underground laboratory and I think a BXHQ would be the perfect place to put one. ^_^

... I'd like to see how close he puts his own room to Fash's... Image

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Ooo! Ooo! It would need a huge library!
And of course a viewing room. Whoot!

The French Biscuit

This I gotta see. :D
Biscuit AWAY!

Junkogen

Post by Junkogen »

:eek: *blows the front end of his trousers clean off*:eek:

That's the coolest idea yet. That would be sick if MGM designed a BX HQ.

MGM

Post by MGM »

LMAO! This might be great procrastination material. *exalts*
ChimeraCreative wrote:... I'd like to see how close he puts his own room to Fash's... Image
He's got NO chance with me designing. ;)
Mr Wallstreet wrote:That's really rough; sorry man. Will you try to rough it by getting a job in another field to pay the bills while you try to get your foot in the door in the architectural field?
I really want to start in architecture, because otherwise you KNOW you'll be doing something else for at least the next 2 years and then it'll be even more difficult to get into it. IF things really don't go as hoped, I can still work with an engineering office or an advice office, though.