The Chronicles of StoneTable

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

StoneTable

The Chronicles of StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

I figured it was about time I introduced myself proper-like. As most of ya'll know, I'm hitched to the one and only ChimeraCreative. We met in chat at a writing forum and it's been bliss ever since.

I've been in the computer field formally for about fourteen years, but I've been tinkering with them since I was a kid. I've gone from tech support to programming to management (which still involves a lot of programming). I'm a bit of a jack of all trades (and master of few). I've worked at some shitty places and some great ones. I worked in New York City for a bit, consulting for NBC. Going on a tour of the SNL set while Blink 182 rehearsed for the Y2K show is the best job perk I've ever got. These days, I work from home for a small but successful advertising company. The hours are long but I enjoy what I do.

On the side, I'm a writer. I used to write a regular tech column for Ars Technica but these days I'm focused on fiction. I've had two stories published so far, "That's Just How I Roll" and "Misdirected", which was printed in the Return to Luna anthology. I've yet to see it in the bookstores (it's from a small press publisher) but it is available on Amazon, which is pretty damn cool. Writing is going to be my second career, when I eventually retire from the programming gig.

I've been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. The bookshelf in my office is filled with all the Star Trek books I've read as a kid. I don't read as much these days, what with the writing and all, but books are still near and dear to my heart. My dream is to have an awesome, kick-ass library in whatever house we end up settling down in -- dark woods, arcane relics, and shelves that are so high we need one of those ladders with wheels to get up to 'em.

I've got lots of hobbies, most of which I've sorely neglected. I'm an amateur radio operator, put together models (been working on a Bird of Prey for the last year), and dabble in electronics/robotics. Basically, I'm a huge nerd.

I didn't read much in the way of comics before Andrea and I met, but I'm rapidly playing catch-up now. I've been through Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, The Walking Dead, Preacher, a bit o' Fables, a select few Batman titles, Bite Club, some Constantine, Hellboy, 100 Bullets, Dark Tower/Gunslinger, and the first couple of Transmet trades. I'm digging Freak Angels, too. I'm definitely more a fan of Vertigo/Dark Horse/Image than any of the DC/Marvel stuff.

So, that's me in a nutshell.
“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.â€￾ - Nikola Tesla

:toetap: You're a real asshole when you're drunk, Superman.

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

lol all those famous titles and then Bite Club right in the middle. Trying to slip it by us eh!

Question time!

How old are you? Did you go to university? What's your favourite sport? How many children on you planning on putting up into An? What's it like being "American"? Are you Christian? Do you like TV? What other forums do you post on? Do you have a profile on OKCupid? Have you traveled much? What's your most embarrassing moment?
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

I love that you've read Preacher. Andrea found a good man in you.

How did she go about explaining who we are?

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

:vampire:
Dude, Bite Club is awesome.
How old are you?
I'm 33, but I look like more like 20. :D
Did you go to university?
I went for a few months but dropped out. I was taking a full course load, including Honors English, doing volunteer work and working. After a death in the family, I fell behind on homework and burnt out. I've gone back to community college and taken a dozen or so classes, but I'm an autodidact. I'll only take classes I'm interested in.
What's your favourite sport?
That's a tough one. There aren't many sports that I watch regularly (wrestling doesn't count). I've watched baseball and football a bit (and once road on the Chicago White Sox corporate jet on their way to a game). I've been enjoying hockey lately, too.
How many children on you planning on putting up into An?
You tryin' to get me in trouble here? :no-no:

We wouldn't be adverse to a few kids, so they can run in a pack and keep up with all the chores we're gonna saddle 'em with.
What's it like being "American"?
Hard to say. I'm probably not a "typical" American. I try to stay up to date on world politics. I enjoy learning about other cultures. I don't automatically assume someone else's norms are wrong because they differ from what I'm used to. I think America has the potential to do great good in the world but I don't think we should act as the world's police, telling people how they should and shouldn't act (but I do think we should work with the rest of the world to fight genocide, poverty and illness).
Are you Christian?
I was raised Lutheran, but I don't accept the Christian worldview. I believe Jesus existed but he was just a man with revolutionary ideas. I don't believe in a God that sits above and watches and judges our every move. Paradox exists, therefore I believe there is something out there but they aren't our moral authority or guardians.
Do you like TV?
Sure do. I watch a few shows regularly, like Lost and Battlestar Galactica. I like having the TV on for background noise, the same way I like to have music on when I work.
What other forums do you post on?
I've been posting on Ars Technica for almost ten years now. I also frequent the AbsoluteWrite forums.

I browse other forums occasionally but those are the only others I post at with any regularity.
Do you have a profile on OKCupid?
I signed up there a long time ago, so I could fill out some survey.
Have you traveled much?
A fair bit. I've been to New Zealand, Ireland and, obviously, Canada. We're planning to move to Canada sometime this year and would like to travel the world a bit once we've settled down somewhere.
What's your most embarrassing moment?
Uhm, that's a toughy. I may have mentally blocked out anything too embarrassing.

I did once embarrass myself in front of Margaret Weis (fantasy author) by totally going fanboy in front of her, not knowing she was standing behind me and laughing. Nothing too juicy though, I'm afraid.
“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.â€￾ - Nikola Tesla

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

William McDert wrote:I love that you've read Preacher. Andrea found a good man in you.

How did she go about explaining who we are?
She told me how you all found each other on the old Wizard World board and eventually moved to your own place, but that's about it. What I've learned about people has mostly been reading posts or talking to them (I've talked to Sandman on the phone once and I've chatted online with Cap't Jack more than a couple of times.)

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Bite Club is absolutely awesome! And so is everything else on your, 'I've read' list.

I haven't tried FreakAngels though. It's set in a post apocalyptic London, isn't it?

Seeing the list of books you've liked, I think you may end up enjoying some of the Luna Brothers work, such as the four volume Girls and the single trade, Ultra. Current series out at the moment is The Sword. Second trade was released recently.

Now that you've revealed your techy side, you are now officially the go to guy for all computer related questions! :D

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

StoneTable wrote:
<snip> <snip> StoneTable's lifestory <snip> <snip>

So, that's me in a nutshell.
I approve this man.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Btw, What type of wrestling do you watch? Amateur, Professional or other?

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

Stocky Boy wrote: I haven't tried FreakAngels though. It's set in a post apocalyptic London, isn't it?
Yep. He's doing it as a free web comic, too. #1 is out in tpb now and he's just wrapping up the run for #2.
Stocky Boy wrote: Seeing the list of books you've liked, I think you may end up enjoying some of the Luna Brothers work, such as the four volume Girls and the single trade, Ultra. Current series out at the moment is The Sword. Second trade was released recently.
I'll add those to the list, thanks!
Stocky Boy wrote: Now that you've revealed your techy side, you are now officially the go to guy for all computer related questions! :D
Aww crap. Andrea warned me about that. ;)
Mr Wallstreet wrote:Btw, What type of wrestling do you watch? Amateur, Professional or other?
"Professional." I know it's scripted, but I still enjoy it. It's like a serial story. And once upon a time, I considered doing it myself. :book:

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Which do you watch?

WWE - Raw - Smackdown - ECW (in name only, naturally)?
TNA?
Ring of Honor?
Other indy stuff?
Japan stuff?

What do you think of some wrestlers physiques mysteriously looking smaller and less defined after the latest clamp down on wrestlers health - but certain big stars still looking as impressively huge and ripped as ever?

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

I'm sorry but having a new poster here who knows how to actually converse is making me squal like a schoolgirl.

The last new poster to make me this girly was MaijinTim, and I miss that baby gorilla.

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

Though the overall product of TNA looks like a poor man's WWE, I do like what they have to offer. It's a little bit more variety. I was pretty bummed when WWE brought WCW. I've never seen RoH though.

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

William McDert wrote:I'm sorry but having a new poster here who knows how to actually converse is making me squal like a schoolgirl.

The last new poster to make me this girly was MaijinTim, and I miss that baby gorilla.
<marquee>:willy_nilly:</marquee>

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

I know MaijinTim's first & last name (yes, his first name is Tim, whodathunkit, boogedy boo) and don't think I haven't tried to track him down before. Why can't everyone have a name as unique and resplendent as Shlomo's? >.<
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

CountD

Post by CountD »

I think the most tantalizing part is you're a relative comics noob and we can suggest stuff to ya.

NERD! ;)

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I've only seen bits and pieces of Ring of Honor.

As far as I know, Nigel McGuinness is supposedly one of the best workers out there and so is Bryan Danielson, with a very catch-as-catch-can style.

The WWE's Evan Bourne used to be a regular on ROH, as Matt Sydal. I saw one match of Bourne on ECW and it was pretty entertaining.

I really want to like TNA. They really do have a much more interesting, 'wrestling' female devision and the Exibition Division cruiserweight guys are actually there to wrestle and not just get jobbed to the bigger guys.
But, yeah, what's up with the stories? Although, to be fair, WWE hasn't been fantastic for a while.

How much are you into UFC? Did you catch UFC95, the recent London one, Sanchez vs. Stevenson?

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

Stocky Boy wrote: The WWE's Evan Bourne used to be a regular on ROH, as Matt Sydal. I saw one match of Bourne on ECW and it was pretty entertaining.
I just want to say that his highly touted Shooting Star Press is indeed text book perfect and beautiful to watch.

And get well soon, Stoney. :disappointed: My feet aren't going to rub themselves, you know. ^_^
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

ChimeraCreative wrote:I just want to say that his highly touted Shooting Star Press is indeed text book perfect and beautiful to watch.

And get well soon, Stoney. :disappointed: My feet aren't going to rub themselves, you know. ^_^
Watching a few clips from Youtube, obviously his highlights, so it doesn't always tella firm picture of his overall performances, but man, this guy!!!
He does some of the cleanest, textbook exemplary aerial moves and kicks. He looks like he's permanently demonstrating the correct way to perform his moves, which takes me a little bit out of the story telling performance, but it's not a bad way to be pulled out of the moment.

His double knee press is pretty cool!

Shooting Sydal Press
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--KhG6m-YcQ

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

What's the latest news with Brock Lesnar, former WWE pro westler who failed to win the UFC championship? Is he getting a re-match or what?

I don't watch UFC regularly but I do hear snippets from time to time. I remember there being much controversy when Kimbo Slice allegedly took a fall.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Well the thing is Wally old chum, he did win the UFC Heavyweight championship, rater impressively. :D

Although, in all honesty, he was significantly heavier than Randy Couture. The size difference was like watching a middleweight vs. heavyweight. Brock is massive!!! He caught Randy good.

The whole affair with Kimbo wasn't that he took a fall, it's that EliteXC, the promotor tried to influence the late replacement opponent to choose to keep the fight standing. On the feet is where Kimbo stood a chance. The problem with the 'suggestion' is not that it fixes the result of the fight, but could go someway to influence the odds and rigg the betting.