Writing Skills

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Mr Wallstreet

Writing Skills

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Recently, I found that my writing skills have diminished somewhat drastically. Obviously I can still form sentences and write intelligently and compose e-mails professionally but when trying to express something creative or otherwise, I often find myself stumped for a good long while before I can muddle through it.

I feel a large part of this is because I've spent the last 5-7 years moving away from online debates and discussions. I remember back in the day when we'd all have spirited conversations that ran for pages. I'm not lamenting the past, just making an observation. I'm trying to pull myself out of this rut by writing a little bit every day. Not vigorous online flame wars (do they still call them that?) but whenever I see something I find interesting, I spend some time crafting a response on my computer just for the hell of it.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

MGM

Re: Writing Skills

Post by MGM »

What's that incomprehensible text? :D

I don't think I've got that. But than again, I write reports at work. They have to be complete, yet laymen have to be able to read them as well.

I do think my English has diminished somewhat, though.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Recently, I found that my writing skills have diminished somewhat drastically. Obviously I can still form sentences and write intelligently and compose e-mails professionally but when trying to express something creative or otherwise, I often find myself stumped for a good long while before I can muddle through it.

I feel a large part of this is because I've spent the last 5-7 years moving away from online debates and discussions. I remember back in the day when we'd all have spirited conversations that ran for pages. I'm not lamenting the past, just making an observation. I'm trying to pull myself out of this rut by writing a little bit every day. Not vigorous online flame wars (do they still call them that?) but whenever I see something I find interesting, I spend some time crafting a response on my computer just for the hell of it.

Too long.
Dismissed.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

As an English major, I tend to write with more detail than I usually need just to get my point across. I find a lot of my work emails could be cut down from 3-4 sentences to 2 or even just 1. I try to self edit there, but it doesn't always help. At the same time, the vast majority of what I read all day is writing from 12 year old's, so there are times I feel like that influences my writing level. Sometimes I feel like I try to overcompensate and make sure that my writing skills aren't below the level they should be.

For example, I edited and re-wrote this twice before I finally posted it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Recently, I found that my writing skills have diminished somewhat drastically. Obviously I can still form sentences and write intelligently and compose e-mails professionally but when trying to express something creative or otherwise, I often find myself stumped for a good long while before I can muddle through it.

Not enough emoji's in this, I did not understand it.

I get you though, the less I write, the rougher my writing gets. I am doing a bunch of editing for the wife these days which is helping me keep up on writing properly, however, even on message boards I find myself not using proper grammar, or possibly even writing very long, run on sentences at times.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I know what you mean Wally. Writing on here comes with a price though; time. Previously it was much easier to spend so much time on here talking shit or debating any subject. Now, when I occasionally fall down the rabbit hole, it's fun - but so very time consuming. I'm usually left thinking, "don't you normally do some exercise about now?"

MGM

Post by MGM »

I find doing excersizes time consuming. I can multi-task being at BX. Usually while working or watchint TV. :D