Cardio

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Mr Wallstreet

Re: Cardio

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I've been going to the gym about 4-5 times a week for the past year for about 45 minutes a day. I do a combination of workouts & each day I focus on one body part: abs, back, chest, arms and legs (I hate leg day). I do abs & cardio twice a week.

My main purpose is trying to lose weight and secondary to tone up and build muscle. However, this past year has been a exceptionally difficult. I started out weighing 150 pounds or (68kg for you Euros) and since then, my weight has fluctuated between 145lbs and 150. I have not been able to get near or below 140.

I've cleaned up my diet mostly. I almost never drink soda. I've cut out rice, white bread, whole milk, sweets. I'll occasionally have ice cream or cake but overall my diet is pretty good. I portion what I eat, I have lots of water, fruits and some veggies. I admit that I sorely hate veggies.

I've never had a problem losing weight and this has been bitterly frustrating. Any pointers would be appreciated

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Krista and I got in better shape for the wedding. I lost about 20 pounds (215-195), she losts over 20 (135-110).
We both ended up losing more weight than we expected.

We both hit the plateau you speak of, we had to do three things to break it, and none of this is surprising or shocking.
Cleaned up the diet even more.
Spend more time in the gym.
Work harder while in the gym.

Krista did more of the cleaner diet, she ate pretty much salads with protein.
I cranked it up in training, working past my comfort zone every class (part of this was fight training though, which made it easier), but I was still able to drink coke and have some snacks, but cinnamon buns went bye bye.
I started doing drills like "as many burpees as possibly in 7 minutes" and more non sense like that. Suicide sprints, etc, etc.

MGM

Post by MGM »

For years I was (depending on the season) between 77 and 82 kilograms (look up the lbs). I always wanted to go to 75, but that somehow never worked. Last year I easily reached 73. It mostly was doing a different kind of workout (running twice a week and core training - with a PT- once a week, instead of kickboxing two, three times a week) and not as much as cleaning up the diet, but checking how much I eat. Since September I haven't really been training hard (since I can't), but I easily maintain the 75 now. I'm thinking that I reach 73 easily again when I really start training again.

For me, changing up the pattern of and type of workout worked immensly.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I was 72 in 2012 which is I believe the "heaviest" I ever got. I'm now 64 and was even 60.5 at one point last year. Never set foot in the gym.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sorry for the delayed response and I appreciate the helpful tips.

I figure more than anything I have to increase my time in the gym as well as the intensity.

How do people feel about the various workout supplements? While going to the gym, I was taking a pre-workout drink and post workout drink. The post work out drink was a protein shake to help with recovery and assist in muscle building. I took that pretty regularly for about 6 months but didn't see any results so I recently stopped taking it.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I only do protein and sugar (I know, something else, but I can't think of the name) post work out. I don't notice any differences, but it sure as hell doesn't not help me (ie. get fat). So I'm good with it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I do nothing. Too many calories when I am trying to lose weight.

As of today I have put my name in the ring for a couple promotions for my first full contact, amateur muay thai fight.

MGM

Post by MGM »

First? What's different with before? You've fought without shinguards, right? Or was that primarely kickboxing?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

It was all Muay Thai. But controlled point sparring, no knockouts, therefore no medical, etc.
The previous fight were all 60 or 90 second rounds too, this will be 3x3min rounds.

This one will be a medical, sanction fight. Knockouts allowed. There are shinguards and headgear, requirement for fight commission in Calgary for amauer Muay Thai.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Actually best way to describe.
The previous fights were all inter-gym tournaments, this is an actual fight promotion company putting it on.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Congrats and good luck! I hope you destroy your competitor and then twist his head off!!!