Cardio

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

MGM

Cardio

Post by MGM »

I'm looking at our sports fanatics.

When to do cardio? In the morning (before breakfast?) or in the evening (an hour or two after dinner)?

Both sides have their advantages, it seems. Sole goal is to lose fat, BTW. Oh, and not lose muscle, so cardio on an empty stomach seems not the best idea.

Where the hell do I put this topic? This forum seems the best one.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Either or. The more important thing is what you're doing for cardio.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

What'd you recommend? At home, three times a week, about 30 minutes each. And stretching afterwards.

At least, that's the idea. I got a 9-week program from a friend, it helped him. It seems to be more about toning, though (it's mostly small dumbell work, abs and legs). No exercises that up the heart rate, like jumping jacks or burpees. Since decreasing my fat percentage is the whole goal, toning is not so bad, but somehow I've got the idea that a more real cardio workout would work better.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I'm not sure what the best activity would be for losing weight.

30 minutes, 3 x week of anything, when you've been doing nothing much previously is going to be good for you. If you did 30 minutes of running, 3 x week that's going to show some results. If you did a load of; burpees, press-ups, jogging on the spot, squats for 30 minutes 3 x a week that also is going to be very good for you.
The big question I guess is whether 30 minutes of something particularly aerobic like running 3 x a week is going to help lose weight more than 30 minutes of something aerobic and anerobic like the floor exercises I suggested. I'm not really sure what the answer is. I think the anerobic and aerobic combo is best.
What's definitely best though is seeing what you enjoy or at least find bearable and do that for 30 minutes, 3 x week. Once comfortable, increase the resistance, i.e. do more, or do more in the same amount of time or add more weight etc.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Okay. I can answer this well.

However, I am working twelve hour shifts over the next couple days, so I'll get to it over the weekend!

However, short term, if you have a park nearby, and are willing to leave the house. Sprints, sprinting is exactly what you want to be doing for your goals.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Until recently I kickboxed once a week, I upped that to twice a week. I did some additional exercises as well, but that gradually faded out again. So I want to do that as well.

The idea is:
- kickboxing twice a week;
- quick exercises three times a week before breakfast: 20 bridges, 14 bird dogs each side and 50 kettlebell swings;
- cardio and/or toning exercises and stretching three times a week (AT HOME, preferably [but not necessarily] in the evening).

The last two points I want to do on the same day, but on different days from the kickboxing (obviously).

Apart from that I've rearranged my eating schedule a few months ago, which helps a lot:
- oatmeal for breakfast;
- fruit and yoghurt around 10:30;
- warm meal for lunch, mostly vegetables and meat (and a bit of rice/potatoes/pasta);
- fruit and yoghurt around 16:00;
- salad or simply vegetables for dinner.

Stocky Boy wrote:30 minutes, 3 x week of anything, when you've been doing nothing much previously is going to be good for you. If you did 30 minutes of running, 3 x week that's going to show some results. If you did a load of; burpees, press-ups, jogging on the spot, squats for 30 minutes 3 x a week that also is going to be very good for you.
The big question I guess is whether 30 minutes of something particularly aerobic like running 3 x a week is going to help lose weight more than 30 minutes of something aerobic and anerobic like the floor exercises I suggested. I'm not really sure what the answer is. I think the anerobic and aerobic combo is best.
I'm thinking the same thing. The schedule I got from my friend is mostly (light) dumbell work (like lateral presses, dumbell presses and triceps kickbacks), leg exercises (like lunges, squats and side leg lifts) and abs (planks, crunches, etc.). 20-50 repeats, depending on the exercise, 2 or 3 sets.

On the other hand I ran across a more intensive program that includes jumping jacks, pushups, squats, knee raises, buttkicks and all that. Also 20-50 repeats and 3 sets.

Maybe a combination of the two types might work as well.

XIII

Post by XIII »

You're making me feel bad about all the Coke I drink and burgers I eat. :(

MGM

Post by MGM »

You should.

Incidentally, I binge on Fridays and/or Saturdays. Don't think I never have a Coke or a burger. ;)

XIII

Post by XIII »

*reads this while eating ice cream*

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I’m not as learned in the arts and sciences of workout as others around here but tossing in my 2 cents anyway.

If weight loss is your only goal then cardio is the way to go. Having done both kickboxing and jogging, I can say with confidence that both will help you lose weight, provided you do them consistently and don’t cheat on your work out.

If jogging is your thing, I recommend jogging 3 – 5 times a week for a minimum of 30 minutes per run. Obviously don’t start off at 30 minutes or an hour every day; work your way up to that. Initially start jogging 2-3 times a week for about 20 minutes. Then gradually work your way up to 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes per run, and if you’re feeling up for it, try and run for longer periods of times. You should give yourself at least 2 days off from working out, because exercising 7 days a week is an easy way to hurt yourself.

Kickboxing is another great way to lose weight and in my opinion better than jogging. The benefits of Kickboxing are that you can lose weight while toning up your body. Aerobic kickboxing offers a variety of exercises that workout your entire body rather than just your legs, arms and stomach.

The intensive program you mentioned for Kickboxing is what I did for 3 years and worked out great. It was a 40 minute workout 4 times a week that included light jogging, leaps, jump rope, high knee jogging, foot to hand jogging, leg raises, sit ups, push-ups, jumping jacks, squats and a few other painful activities but the end result was well worth it.

Also, you can’t do Kickboxing, or jogging for that matter, less than twice a week or you will not see any results no matter how hard you work out. I recommend kickboxing 4 times a week.

The last thing that you need to have a balanced diet but you seemed to have that covered so good luck.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Since I'm a fat ass, I'm working on losing weight as well. I bought myself an exercise bike and try to ride it every day but sometimes only get every other day. My doctor recommended doing it early in the morning because it helps get your metabolism going early in the day which is better. I fail at doing it in the morning as I don't want to wake up. Such as today, I set my alarm for 15 minute earlier, woke up at that time, and promptly shut off the alarm for those 15 minutes and woke up at the normal time.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Having a good breakfast (oatmeal!) works just as well for kicking in your metabolism. Eating 5-6 times a day is important as well. I'm not too keen on doing more than 10 minutes in the morning either. I need my sleep, dude.
Mr Wallstreet wrote: I recommend kickboxing 4 times a week.
You assume I have time for this. ;)
Two times is the best for me, schedule-wise. At most I could do three times a week, but that's not really an option right now.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I keep forgetting people have different schedules than me.

I understand your schedule is very hectic but try and workout 3x a week. It will take you far longer to reach your goal if you're only working out twice a week. You will see more results if you work out 3x a week. Also your body will adjust to working out quicker. Meaning you won't get as tired quickly and you'll be able to do more.

I'm not a morning person but I like to jog or kickbox in the morning and I'll drag myself out of bed if I have to. It sucks getting out of bed but once you're up and doing it, you don't really notice it. And not to sound like a hippie but you feel good for the rest of the day.

Chris, it's hard but keep at it. And no more baking!

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I do agree that the more you do it, the easier it gets. I recently increased the difficulty level on my bike and I'm trying to adjust to that, with my knees (main problem area of pain, always have been) giving out after 15 minutes usually. Yet it used to be 10, so I'm building it up slowly.

I'd love to get a membership to a pool to begin swimming again, too bad they'll all expensive ($70 a month or so).

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

XIII wrote:*reads this while eating ice cream*
I have sprinkles, would you like some?

XIII

Post by XIII »

Nope, I made apple crumble yesterday and we still have some left. But thanks!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'm going to go back and enjoy my Oreos then.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Just noticed this, but what the fuck is aerobic kickboxing? Is this kickfun, or something like that?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Aerobic kickboxing is just another term for Cardio or combat kickboxing. It employs various sitting & standing exercises (like the ones mentioned above) along with kickboxing

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Aerobic kickboxing is just another term for Cardio or combat kickboxing. It employs various sitting & standing exercises (like the ones mentioned above) along with kickboxing

Cardio kick boxing is nothing like combat kick boxing!