NYCC 2013

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

MGM

NYCC 2013

Post by MGM »

Is this still on everyone's radar?

I'm asking because next year also sees Clapton's Crossroads in NYC in April. I'd love to go there, but I doubt I can afford NYC twice in one year. So, how's everyone's position on the idea of BX visiting NYCC 2013? Not that I don't want to go, but Crossroads is every 3 years, NYCC every year.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I don't believe I can make it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I'd be open to doing a London comic con in 2013
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Such sad news. Which London Comic-con? Ka-Pow or the other one?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

What would the choices be?
MCM?
Ka-Pow?
and London Super Con?

I think MCM is the best?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Which is the one where you can get us exhibitor passes? :D

Also, this obviously means Andy will have guests over next year.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

MGM wrote:Which is the one where you can get us exhibitor passes? :D
I actually to have idea. I've been thinking about it since Emerald City.
They next con I go to outside of NYCC will be in London, I think.
I need to find out if I know any dealers that side of the pond.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Hmm, a London con in 2013, that I can make.
BUT if I recall correctly, Stockwell Manor is not near London, meaning not the best accomodation for us.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Wasn't he supposed to get a new place by now? I'm sure it's downtown London. :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

I remember when he was supposed to get a new place. I was young, unmarried then.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:I remember when he was supposed to get a new place. I was young, unmarried then.
Oh the better days. (except for Simon of course)

M computer died. It's gone for a week to be repaired. I'll look into London cons when I get it back.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

This ius apparently THE london show to go see;

http://www.londonsupercomicconvention.com/

Thoughts?

XIII

Post by XIII »

There is this French forum where people go to a lot of London con. I'll ask them for their opinion.
I just remembered that I keep hearing that the best UK con is in Leeds (almost Scotland, all the way north), it's Thought Bubbles.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Looking at the sites, I think London Super Con is bigger, worth looking into though.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Ha, this week Natascha actually asked which Con we're supposed to go to, since there are moire than just one in London. Good thing you guys are already on it.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

London hey?

I've never been to this London Super Comic Con before. I remember hearing about it. This was the one Stan Lee came too. They haven't updated the guest list for next year yet. From the website, it was held in Excel, which is the convention centre that MCMExpo use all the time. It's also where the Judo, Boxing, Wresting and Tae Kwon Do Olympic events were held.

Kapow was pretty good. Kapow's the one I got Millar, Quietly, Ross, Gibbons and a few other British talent signatures. It's a two day event as well. Relatively small venue, but Millar seems to be able to draw in some big name buddies to do the signings.

ThoughtBubble is indeed supposed to be awesome. One day event I'm told. But, apparently extremely good. It's in Leeds like Arno said, which is about a 3 to 4 hour train journey from London. I think you can get flights to Manchester and Manchester is about an hour or two train journey to Leeds.

MCM Expo is fun, but chiefly it's a Brit Sci-fi, Video Game and Anime convention. They finally had a comic retailer at the last event who came with a load of back issues. The guest list is updated last fucking second though. I did get Marv Wolfman's signature last time. But that's about it. It's a fun con, but it's not comic specific and it's random if someone like Ellis or Quietly appear. It does happen though.

Stockwell manor doesn't exist I'm afraid. I'd love it to; (a) exist, (b) be in central London and (c.) be large enough to accommodate you all for an extended visit. But alas, London is fucking expensive! If I do get round to buying my own place, it likely won't be in time for, say, Kapow, which is roughly in April and it will barely be big enough to house me.

I'd love to see you all in London though!
The UK and perhaps more specifically London is where you've got your best chance of getting your hands on signatures from big Brit creators like Millar.

I could do NYCC 2013, but I'm not fussed. At some point, I'd like to do San Diego. I'd also be tempted to do a Canadian one too.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I think I'd be up for NYCC as well, london superson may be a little too soon for me in 2013, since it is in February.

SDCC would be awesome if you guys can travel that far, albeit, it may not be as fun, since it is so damn packed.

Seattle was a great show.

If you guys ever want to try the smaller, but close, Montreal Comic Con, I can put everyone up at Chaetau De Wolf.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The biggest problem for doing SDCC is getting tickets. Every year it gets sold out quicker and quicker. This year, tickets got sold out in about 40 minutes or so.

Also, given the sheer amount of people trying to get tickets, the site tends to crash. So while you're trying to coax the website back to life, other folks are quickly scooping up the tickets.

I'd still like to go though...

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'd love to do SDCC at some point, but I agree with the ticket situation. One reason I don't try as I know I'll get screwed somehow.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

For me, things like NYCC and SDCC are simple affordability issues. I'd probably have to save for about 2 years for either one to accommodate for travel and lodging PLUS Comic Con purchases. NYC this year was feasible for a 3 day visit. Had I added a Con to it, I wouldn't have been able to afford it. It's why I do a number of these little smaller shows around our area with my friends because we can travel easier and prices aren't as high.