NYCC 2011!!!

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The artist alley thing happened to a lesser extent last year, too.

The easels with the lists weren't set up on Friday, and the lettering was a FUBAR on Friday as well. It wasn't straightened out well till late Friday night or Saturday morning.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Friday was another good, albeit very tiring day. My younger brother, having enjoyed the first day of his first ever NYCC, asked if he could bring his friend along, I said no problem so I was joined on friday by my brother and his friend. However, very early on they wanted to see other things, specifically the gaming booths so we parted ways very early on.

I walked around Artist Alley some more and I got:

Dustin Nguyen: Batman Streets of Gotham
Fredick somethingorother (the letterer or colorist: on Streets of Gotham
Jason Aaron: The Other Side
Rebekah Issacs: Angel & Faith
Brian Azzerallo: Wonder Woman #1 & Batman Deathblow
Art Balthazar: A pic & a sig
Joe Quesada: Batman: Sword of Azrael
Chris Claremont: Extreme X-Men #1. There is (a whole Chris Claremont rant I'm going to get into, in just a little while)
Jeph Loeb: Batman: Ghosts (also signed by Time Sale)
Dan Slott: Picked up something from him on the fly
Wild Blood (unsigned) from Claremont for Wulf
Pigs Variant issue signed by the entire team for Wulf
Invincible/Spider-man Teamup signed by Kirkman

Friday was a pretty heavy day. There were massively more people than they were on Thursday. Marvel & DC had a lot of great writers/artists signing at the same time which made getting sigs harder as I'm only one person. It made me long for the days of yesteryear when we'd split up and take something for each other and get several artists in the space of 5-10 minutes rather than 1 artist in 20 minutes.

Security was another issue. Security was massively amped up this year with both Marvel & DC. Every signing table at Marvel & DC had 2-3 security people surrounding the table to ensure no one jumped in & got a free siggy while the artist was momentarily free and additional personnel working the entire length of the line to ensure no one cut the line. The number of people working the line depended on the length of the line. The longer the line, the more personnel. Kirkman, Lee, Johns, Claremont, J. Scott Campbell, Mark Brooks and any other big name had tons of crowd control. Like I said, there were more artists that I wanted to get but couldn't because of the conflicting time schedule.

On Friday, very early in the morning as I was walking around, I spoke with a few artists that were hanging around and chilling. Paolo Rivera & Katie Cook always had their booth set up 40 minutes before the Con opened and were always busy sketching. I killed time with Rivera, Katie Cook, Geoff Darrow, Tim Sale & Lenil Yu.

While speaking with Katie Cook, I asked her about Kokomo Con and how her experience was there. She loved and then I mentioned our BX Baby: Ed. She immediately knew who I was talking about and said he was such a nice young man and various other compliments. Similarly when I passed Art Balthazar in the Marvel Booth, I also brought up Ed from his time at Kokomo Con last week. Balthazar was very impressed by Ed. He said "Edward was a good man. He treated me right at Kokomo Con". Awwwwww our little Eddie is such a sweet heart

When getting Extreme X-Men signed by Claremont, I said "hi" from Cameron and that if he remembered him. Claremont thought about it a moment then said "ah yes, nice fellow. Tell him I said hello." then went back to looking glazed over.

Later on during the Con, I saw our friends Azzerallo and Aaron. I said hi on behalf of Arnaud, Cameron and Andy. I asked them if they remembered us and they said how could we forget. I told them that you all weren't here this year for various reasons. I told Aaron that Arn had a son and fatherhood was keeping him busy. Aaron then spoke a lil bit being a father and how it changes your priorities. I then entertained them with stories of Simon projectile vomiting all over Arn which made them laugh. Azzarello (jokingly) said "thank god you bastards weren't here this year" and that "I don't miss bumping into you every fucking minute of the day." Azz said if he you all couldn't be at Milano's tonight, he'd hoped to see me (What is it with Milanos? It such a dive bar). I said I'd try but no promises. And no I didn't go. The Con closes up at 7 and I would have had to kill an additional several hours before heading to Milano's. It would have been different if you all were here because I could have muscled through it but you weren't so that's that.

Seems that our BX crew is making quite the impression on some creators.

Still to come: my run in with Mark Hamil at the end of Friday and Claremont rant.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

So Claremont had only one signing scheduled for the entire duration of the Con and that was at the Marvel booth at 12:00. At 11:50 I notice that the line is relatively short so I jump in. Claremont, of course, is late but I wait patiently because I'm like 5th in line or something. When he finally arrives people start breaking out the comics, and of course there are several people that crack open their bags and pull out a stack of comics. Fuck me. And by stack I mean, 10-20. And of course Claremont signs them all and talks on and on while signing them, stretching what could be a five minute signing into 15 minutes. I don't mind chit chatting with your fave creator, I've done it but for gods sake show some fucking common sense and courtesy to the people behind you. Don't break out your entire collection for him to sign then slow his ass down by talking to him while he's signing. Think of the entire line behind you. They should cap the number of titles to sign at 5 or 10 tops. I see some guys with what looks like their entire collection there. So I finally get my turn and ask Claremont when he'll be at his table for the Wild Blood giveaway. Tells me, he's going there right after hes done with his signing. I walk off & kill some time and then make my way to Artist Alley. I'm third in line this time but the guy at the front has, I shit you not, an entire suitcase full of comics he is getting signed by Claremont. I nearly wept when I saw it. It wasn't a huge suitcase; it was one of those mediumish sized rolling things, but goddamn a suitcase is a suitcase. However, I didn't leave the line because I wanted that Wild Blood. Fortunately, for my brother and his friend came along and they held my place in line while I walked a bit and got some more sigs. When I came back, my brother's friend was shaking his head in disbelief at the sheer volume of comics that guy was getting signed by one person. My bro's friend, not a comic collector, said that was ridiculous given the number who are still waiting. I finally get my turn after that guy is done because the guy in front of me only has 2 comics and I only wanted the Wild Blood.

The Spotlight on Mark Hamil Panel was at 7:00pm. I wasn't going to stay for it. I just wanted to see if I could get a quick picture with him. No way was that happening. The line for Hamil took up no less than a third of the entire sub level. Crowd control was a huge issue. When Hamil finally rolled in, he came in through the back area, as I expected but was flanked by not only his agent, manager & coordinator and whoever else, but also two armed police officers. They guarding his ass like he was the president so no way was I gonna get close to him for that. Instead we locked eyes briefly for a moment. Our souls sharing an infinitesimally small yet solid place in space and time. And then it was over. He got into his panel and I hit the bricks.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Today is Sunday and I only want two sigs: Frank Quitley & Greg Rucka. They are both being held at 4:00 - 5:00pm; Rucka at Marvel and Quitley at DC. Wtf do I do? It's at fucking 4:00pm; at the ass end of the Con and I have yet to write down how horrifically exhausting yesterday was and whether I even want to go to the Con at all today

EDIT:

After re-reading my Claremont post with fresh eyes, I may have come across as a little bitchy & whiny. That wasn't my intention. I just really hate it when people bring their entire collection to a signing.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Get one at 4, quietly.

Ambush ruck at 5

XIII

Post by XIII »

That's the plan! Go for it.

Man, reading your reports are great. Can't wait to go back there!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

To quote our British friend:

So, I've just got back and I've been meaning to ask you guys something ever since going...

... when the fuck are you guys going to hurry up and get something signed by Frank Quitley? And Todd McFarlane? And Frank Miller? ;D

Wulf, send me a Facebook PM with your mailing info. I'll send out your stuff on Wednesday.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Sounds like your weekend was awesome! Glad you had a great time and met so many different creators this go around! Also, glad you got your little brother and his friends to go with you! I'm sure you're beat, but I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Sounds like a good show. I look forward to hearing more about it after you get some sleep.

We had an exiciting 1 day con here today, it was... not as awesome.

The people who show up to Claremont signings are the worst. I have never seen anyone else get it as bad as him. If anything, I would have bitched and whined more.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Although most importantly.

Did you enjoy it by yourself/with your brother, or are they a tad over-whelming?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Wulf, give us the rundown on your Con. I'm sure you'd make any Con enjoyable given your propensity for finding hard to find books and creators.

Thanks you guys. My brother and his friend weren't overwhelming at all. My brother reads comics just as much as I do but he has no interest in meeting creators or getting sigs or pictures with them. We met up several times though and the three of us got together for lunch.

It was their first ever CC and they really seemed to enjoy it. They only did two days though and I don't blame em. The Con was very exhausting.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Saturday:

Saturday was by far the most hectic day of the entire Con. The world it seemed was packed into the Convention center.

A few things were going on in the early morning. Frank Miller was coming to NYCC and The Legendary Pictures Studio was hosting the signing and would only sign for 1 hour. Tickets would be given out first thing Saturday morning when the doors opened. At the exact same time tickets were being given out for the Todd McFarlane’s exclusive signing at the Image Booth. No way was I getting both at once so I asked my younger brother to go with me to the Con, and stand in line for McFarlane tickets and I would get in line for Miller tickets. We both lined up at 9:30 and got our tickets. My brother got the McFarlane tickets easily but the people at the Legendary Booth restarted the line for Miller tickets at a different location within the booth. So everyone who was first line got mightily pissed off when they were told the line starts elsewhere. Fortunately for me, I was one of the people on the correct line and that was purely by chance. At 10:00am I got my Miller tickets, however, they came with a catch: Tickets for Miller’s signing did not guarantee a signature by Miller. Why give out so many tickets then? Beats me.
Also, the Miller signing was from 4:30 – 5:30 and McFarlane signing was from 4:00 – 5:00pm

My brother then left the Con after securing me the tickets and I went to meet my friend Christopher (whom some of you kind of know through Twitter) who came up from Baltimore to see the Con for one day. So Chris came up and we toured the Con.

As packed as the Con was on Friday, it was worse on Saturday. You simply could not move through the horde. You’d stop every few steps and try and navigate around people. It was an exercise in exhaustion. The main hub of activity was around the comic book booths. Between DC, Image, and Darkhorse it was one great big traffic jam of human bodies that seemingly never moved. Chris then offered to get McFarlane’s sig while I waited in line for Miller. I then picked up a copy of Holy Terror for Miller to sign while Chris got McFarlane’s signature. 3:30 I lined up for Miller because I noticed other people were lining up. Legendary Booth (being dicks again) wouldn’t start an official line until they felt like it so several lines formed at the spot where people thought the signing would start. I was not so fortunate this time but I caught a lucky break when a guy offered to squeeze me in front of him. SUCCESS!!!! So I was 10th in line for Miller thanks to the graces of a Good Samaritan.

At around 4:20 Chris came by the Legendary Booth with my signed copy from McFarlane. The Miller line capped signatures at 1 title per person so I couldn’t get two signatures. However, the very nice girl in front of me who was in line with her boyfriend didn’t have anything to sign offered to get Holy Terror signed for me so I could get Spawn/Batman signed. A second ray of sunshine!

Miller showed up and the rest as they was history. I was expecting Miller to be a cantankerous old fart but he was enthusiastic and talked about how personal his projects are and how much he wants fans to enjoy them.

My hat goes off to my friend Chris for scoring the McFarlane signature while I got not one but two Frank Miller personalized signatures, My younger brother for the McFarlane tix and the good generous people who squeezed me into the Miller line. Sometimes good shit happens to not-so-good-people like me.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The rest of day was spent hanging out by various comic booths and artist alley where I scored more swag, pics and sigs. I got

Matthew Sturges - Madame Xanadu
Chris Roberson - iZombie
Eric Wallace - Mr. Terrific
Geoff Johns - Aquaman
Jim Lee - JLA, Green Lantern
Todd McFarlane - Spawn/Batman
Frank Miller - Spawn/Batman, Holy Terror
Blair Butler - Heart (Blair Butler hosts the Fresh Ink panel on G4 and had a new comic coming out so I figured what the hell).
Scott Snyder - Can't remember what he signed
Kyle something or other - the Inker on Batgirl
A small print of the various Robins signed by Dustin Nguyen
Rebekah Issacs (again) and Christos Gage - Angel & Faith #1
Garth Ennis: JLA/Hitman
Moon Knight by Alex Maleev
Spawn #200 by Rob Liefeld

I wanted to get Kieren Gillen, Sean Murphy, Sean Phillips and some more but there were other events that were going on that prevented me from getting them.

Don't know if you guys watch 30 Rock but I bumped into the bald guy who plays Tina Fey's boss and got a picture with him

And more swag:
Punisher - Barracuda by Ennis
Bruce Timm book on his animation.

Also, on Saturday the Marvel Booth had the actors from the Avengers coming in to do promos. Chris Evans, Tom Hiddleson, Cobie Smulders and Greg Couleson (SHIELD Agent) would be arriving at different times. Knowing this, it definitely was a good idea to move the Marvel booth aside because the other comic book booths were getting a lot of traffic and with celebs like Evans, Hiddleson and Smulders, chaos would have broken out.

Speaking of chaos, at one point at the DC Booth on Saturday there was altercation which almost led to a fight. Jim Lee & Geoff Johns were signing and there was a large crowd around them taking pictures. Then, something happened very quickly and 3 guys nearly fell to the ground cursing and screaming at each other. It almost got out of hand but security broke it up with a quickness and moved them out in different directions. Clearly security was not be messed with this year. There was zero chance of jumping the line, or any line for that matter. Your best bet was to stalk the creators (like we usually do) when they leave a signing.

Stalking - back to Todd McFarlane. My friend Chris got me a signature of McFarlane but I still wanted a picture with him and after having been rejected by the CC volunteer staff, we decided to stalk him. So we watched and we waited. Finally when he was done giving interviews, I asked this other -more pleasant looking Image Staffer if I could get a picture and he said "sure no problem" Successss!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

My con had 3 local artists. Cary Nord, Riley Rossmo, and the guy who does the Intrepids.

It has less long boxes than George (the guy with more boxes from NYCC) brings to a show.

It was underwhelming, but something to do!

The con sounds pretty good this year. It does unfortuantly seemed to have suffered from too many people.

Do you think it`s at the point when if you don`t need sigs, you could almost just skip Saturday afternoon to avoid the crowd?

What's the favorite thing you got?

XIII

Post by XIII »

Man, did you by any chance mention me to Greg Rucka when you got his sig?

Also, what did Mathew Sturges when you handed him the Madame Xanadu comics to sign?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Cary Nord is a great guy. I'll need to get him someday. On the plus side, you're going to Emerald City Con in Seattle right? That should be loads of fun and the guest list is pretty impressive.

As horrible as Saturday was I wouldn't recommend skipping it. That's typically when some of the heavy talent comes in. i.e. Both Miller and McFarlane did signings but only on Saturday. McFarlane spent most of the Con at panels & doing interviews and Miller only showed up for a one hour signing (which was capped at one book per person). Also, that's when Artist Alley is packed -and not just with fans but with artist who are only around for the weekend.

Best part about the Con: scoring two signatures from Frank Miller. He hardly ever does Cons so it was was hands down the best moment.

XIII, my bad I meant I got House of Mystery signed by Sturges, not Madame Xanadu. For some reason I think of Madam Xanadu when I think of Sturges. I would really like to meet Matt Wagner at a future Con. I love everything he does.

On Sunday when I was getting my titles signed by Rucka, I said "Hi from my friend Arnaud. He did some French-English/English-French translation work for you on your Queen & Country Novel. Rucka's face immediately lit up and said "thank Arnaud very much for me and tell him I said hi. He was very helpful and I appreciated it."

On the way out, I bumped into Azzerallo. He said "now every time I see you, I keep expecting to see your posse." I told him that he'd see them before long. I told him I was looking forward to his new title. The Space western. Azz said he thinks we (you guys and me) will really dig it." He then said bye and walked off.

Quitley signing was crazy. The number of titles they allowed for signing was capped at 2 so I got in line. Fortunately, as long as the line was, it moved very fast given only 2 titles were allowed and it was being strictly enforced. I got up to him within 20 minutes and got 2 X-titles signed. I screwed up the upload on FB so now I can't add it there, but here it is on the bottom.
Attachments
IMG_0604.jpg

XIII

Post by XIII »

Oh... Sigs by Quitely!!! You know, Wagner was signing all weekend at the same booth as Frank Miller.

Fahran, really, bravo for a great con. Makes me sad I wasn't there this year but you can bet we'll be back to do it all over again with you.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Wagner will also be at Seattle in March!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Looking forward to when you all will be back.

I didn't realize at all Wagner was signing at the Legendary Pictures booth. Thats alright though. I'll get him some other time.

On Sunday I only stayed for about 2 hours to get signatures from Rucka and Quitley and as evidenced by my 3 day stubble growth and sleepy expression, even that was too much for me.

Goodbye NYCC 2011. You big beautiful bitch!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

So, did you feel a 4 day con was a little too much?

It seems like a silly idea to me.