Happy News II

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Tragic Angelus

Happy News II

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It doesn't exactly live up to the previous two bouts of Happy News from Arn and Wally, but this Saturday I will finally graduate from college.

I'll graduate with my B.S. in Secondary Education in English, and then apply for and hopefully get my certification and license from the State. I'll be certified to teach English to grades 5-12, and also certified to teach English as a Second Language, which won't be on my degree but I've taken all of the classes necessary to get it.

Also, I just applied for a 6th grade English job at the middle school where I did my main student teaching for my English Ed. degree. There I taught 7th grade, and had a wonderful experience. The principal, assistant principal, and teachers I worked with all were glad I had turned one in and asked if I had done so when I came in today, so I take it as a very good sign. I may not get it, but it sounds right now like I have a leg up on that position, and they only have it open for applications for 2 weeks. Here's hoping.

XIII

Post by XIII »

First Mitch, now you. Is anything sacred anymore? Is there any BXer left studying?

XIII

Post by XIII »

Congratulations, BTW!!! :D

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Congratulations Ed!

Hope you get the position. Keep us all posted.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Congrats!

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Way to go man!! Congratulations!
All Will be Well!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I'm still studying! Kind of!

Congrats Ed!
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

Congrats!
Tragic Angelus wrote:Also, I just applied for a 6th grade English job at the middle school where I did my main student teaching for my English Ed. degree.
How does it feel, knowing you might teach kids older than you? :D

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Congratulations on graduating and becoming a permanent part of the workforce. Your soul now belongs to capitalism and good luck on getting that position you applied for. I hope your experience there, or anywhere for that matter, is a great one.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate it. I'm really excited for this main position and so far it sounds like I'm 50% there to being hired, but you still never know. I'm a bit nervous, but ready to work there.

More and more apps going out daily, and hopefully I will hear back from one soon.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

How does it feel knowing you're one day shy of completing your education? All your years of hard work finally coming to an end?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It's pretty amazing and somewhat nerve racking all at once.

I finished my last day of student teaching today, and she let me leave early to get ready to go to Bloomington. But as the day ended I got really nervous, as I knew the second I walked out the door of the school I would have nothing but graduation left, and then I am 100% an adult. I've been wanting to be done for a long time, and it's finally here so it's pretty surreal.

In about 16 hours I'll start the ceremony, so it's coming up fast. I'm just waiting on my girlfriend to arrive so we can drive down to Bloomington tonight. The next time most of you hear from me, I'll own a Bachelor's degree.

And the first time most of you heard from me, I hadn't even started High School. Think about that.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

you would not have OWNED it you would have EARNED it. Big Difference ;-)
All Will be Well!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

True, I suppose I didn't think of it that way!

I am now a proud alumni of Indiana University and can officially say I've earned a Bachelor's of Science in Secondary Education in English. Pretty awesome stuff, and I think I made both of my parents cry a bit. I knew my mother would, but not my father.

Now, I just need to order my official transcripts and apply for state certification and I'll be completely finished.

Thanks again for all the support guys. It really means a lot!

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

YAYAY!!!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

congrats!

The womens will now flock to you!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Tragic Angelus wrote:
And the first time most of you heard from me, I hadn't even started High School. Think about that.
Hell, we remember when they first brought you back from the hospital. You haven't changed one little bit since then

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Job Update:

Just got a phone call about an hour ago about said 6th grade position. I have an interview on Thursday. They've already gotten 20 applications, and they're only interviewing 6. I ended up choosing the first interview time slot. It'll be a panel of about 7 people in 30 minutes total.

Bit nervous as I know some of them so it could be slightly awkward, and I don't want to seem too comfortable. But I'm hoping for the best. Second round of interviews drops it from 6 people to 2 and you interview with the Superintendent. But I'll burn that bridge when or if I get there.

Then, Friday, I'll celebrate graduation by going to Motor City Con, where I hope to get a sketch from a few of the following: Clay Mann, Aaron Lopresti, Georges Jeanty, and Katie Cook.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Fuck. Tony Harris.

That's awesome.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, I saw him on the list too, but I haven't read as much of what his work has been in as everyone else, so I thought I'd probably not go for him. Plus I figured he'd be much more expensive than the others.

Add in that we're only going Friday and I may not be able to get more than 1, maybe 2 depending on how long some of them take or how busy they are. And I can't find a listing on if they're just doing signings or not for some artists.

Regardless, I still am excited and eager to go.