Us Europeans are wondering...

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

MGM

Us Europeans are wondering...

Post by MGM »

(And by us Europeans, in this case I specifically mean Natascha and me) ...why do cheerleaders in American tv-shows ALWAYS wear their uniform, even while attending classes. Surely this does not reflect reality?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

No it does not.

But it does reflect in the viewers crotch.

I think the exception to this can be game days? I think the cheerleaders and the players wear their jerseys and uniforms on game days.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

What do you think the creepy old dudes would rather see though?

"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Actually, some cheerleaders do. Not all the time, just occasionally. It's similar to how some jocks wear their uniform during class before they have a "big game" or some BS like that. It's supposed to incite school spirit, something I never really had.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, it's almost solely on game days only. IN fact, most schools have it as a rule (through the sponsor/coach of the team/sport) that you have to or should wear the uniform on game days. And for cheerleaders, that could include any game that they're cheering at, whether football, basketball, or other sports if the school is big enough to have cheerleaders at things like Volleyball, wrestling, baseball, softball, girls basketball, etc.

TV just pushes it to the extreme, mostly like what Cam said with 'what would people rather see' and part of a 'how do we let new viewers in on what clique this character's in without spending 5 minutes explaining?' by just putting them in uniforms I'd think.

Now in college, I never saw one person wearing their jersey or uniform on a game day or any other day. They would wear tons of apparel they could only get by being on the team, but never their uniforms.