Man vs. Food Questions

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Stocky Boy

Man vs. Food Questions

Post by Stocky Boy »

I've seen a lot of these episodes now. I really enjoy this show.

However, a number of questions are raised. First amongst them...

What is up with the chilli dog?
Why put chilli all over a hot dog? Why?! I can imagine it tasts alright, but I just don't get it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

What is up with Chilli on a hot dog? Not much beyond the fact that it takes two tasty and extremely unhealthy foods and combines them together for a beefy & spicey taste.

The concept of marrying two or more foods together as a sheer indulgence is a uniquely American idea. Hence our "obesity epidemic". :)

Have you never had a Hotdog with Chilli on it? I've had them lots of times. My personal favorite is a hot with ketchup, mustard, onions sourkaut & chilli. My stomach & my colon however violently disagree with me whenever I have them :)

New item on to do list:

Buy Stocky a hotdog with the works on it.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

PLEASE take a picture of Stocky eating a chilli dog this weekend!!!!!

That being said, I absolutely LOVE Chilli dogs, since I first worked in a ballpark concession stand at ages 10-13 and ate them almost daily those 3 summers. Now, whenever I'm back home, it's the one thing I seek out to eat because I can't find a decent place that sells them here. It really is just like putting another topping on the hotdog, which, personally, I feel is too plain on it's own, even with mustard or ketchup.

What you REALLY want though, is a chilli-cheese dog, where some hot nacho cheese or shredded cheese is put on top of the chilli dog. That is amazing.

And yes.. these are all reasons why America has an obesity epidemic. But god I love my high metabolism.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:But god I love my high metabolism.
That will not last.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Cincinnati is famous for our chili (definitely not "normal" chili, so awesome) and we have Cheese Coneys with hot dogs, chili, cheese, and sometimes mustard and/or onion (no onion but yes to mustard). Sooooo good, anyone who comes to Cincy has to try our chili ^_^

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

wolf_2099 wrote:That will not last.
I know. Trust me, I know. I've seen my father and grandfather, and I know I'm nearing the end of my time for it. But damn if I won't put it through the gauntlet before it's gone.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I know. Trust me, I know. I've seen my father and grandfather, and I know I'm nearing the end of my time for it. But damn if I won't put it through the gauntlet before it's gone.
Just being sure, since I sure do miss my fast metabolism. 2 day hangovers blow.

Although, it is still pretty damn good thanks to kick boxing.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Dear lord, is another one of the young'uns getting a wee bit older?

Starting to feel those hangovers? Say goodbye to two evenings of drinking in a row.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Stocky Boy wrote:Dear lord, is another one of the young'uns getting a wee bit older?

Starting to feel those hangovers? Say goodbye to two evenings of drinking in a row.
I drink 2 evenings in a season. Maybe.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I've never had cheese on a chili dog before and I'm not sure if I want to. The smell would be enough to drive me away.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

As I said, Cincy has a different type of chili than most people are used to. All you can smell on Cheese Coney's is the deliciousness of the chili ^_^

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Wally, think of it like nachos. You have the meat/cheese combo there, and it's nothing different with the hotdog, or when people put cheese on chilli itself.

Although, it really would depend the most on what KIND of Chilli is being used on the hotdog. I know there are different kinds used, ranging from Chilli like the actual soup kind to a more sauce type used in Mexican food as well. It all depends.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I like Nachos but I'm not a big fan of them. The cheese smell always makes me nauseous; it smells like feet. I enjoy the taste of it but the smell always hits me across the face like a right hook.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Well you can use a lot of different cheeses. Is it just the nacho/melted/liquid like cheese that does it or all cheese? Because if it's just the nacho kind, I'd suggest tossing some shredded cheese on it that you enjoy. A restaurant I love back home adds cheese that way to them, and it's really good.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

A Cheese Coney uses shredded cheddar cheese. You can read more about Cincy chili at the Skyline restaurant:

http://www.skylinechili.com

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

I think the bigger question on man vs food is, how does he manage to eat food thats larger than his considerably big head?
:chewie: