Lookin' For Some Great Manga?

Where otaku get their groove on.

Moderators: The French Biscuit, Tyran-ne

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

Well, get the fuck out of the thread if you're not going to contribute to it.

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

ChimeraCreative wrote:Well, get the fuck out of the thread if you're not going to contribute to it.

Awww! That's my big bad sis! :D
[SIZE="5"][color="Magenta"]
Hugz!!!![/color][/SIZE]

ChimeraCreative

Fuck yeah! Image After all the nagging, cajoling, promising I had to do, hells yeah. No reason Python, Biscy and yourself can't talk shop here.

So, talk manga or something. ^_^ Or post some of your drawings here. ^_^

MGM

Post by MGM »

That's what the Creative Cafe is for. ;)

XIII

Post by XIII »

ChimeraCreative wrote:Well, get the fuck out of the thread if you're not going to contribute to it.

I was about to do just that, but damn, you don't have to be so rude about it. :mad::D

ChimeraCreative

Tyran-ne wrote:Awww! That's my big bad sis! :D
[SIZE="5"][color="Magenta"]
Hugz!!!![/color][/SIZE]

Wait a sec... is that girl hugging a boy or a girl? O.o

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

ChimeraCreative wrote:Wait a sec... is that girl hugging a boy or a girl? O.o

...I dunno O_o

I kinda took a guess. :o

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

I think Bisc might disagree, but One Piece is awesome. It's odd, but interesting, that the manga and anime differ from each other here and there in matters of little details. I stopped watching the anime and starting reading the manga instead. I'm still very far behind but now that I'm caught up in Naruto I can devote my time to ONE PIECE.

I also started calling my close group of friends "my nakamas" and only one of them gets it since he got me into the show haha.

Thanks for the heads up on those other titles, will have a look.

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

You know you watch subbed anime too much when you start using Japanese sporadically throughout the day. :D

I've said "nani?" to people and had them stare at me blankly while I recover and add; "I mean, what?".
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Aw, the One Piece manga is surprisingly awesome it is just something rully different. Refreshingly so. :D
(I will admit that fer some reason I'm not a fan of the anime though)

Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

I read the first eight or so One Piece books, but I think I sold them off. Naruto and Bleach lasted a bit longer, but I ended up giving those away to my friend's son. Everything just seemed to be repeating. I mostly stick to comic (as in funny ha-ha) manga now.

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Yeah, ditto.
Bleach and Flame of Recca are on my list of manga to pick up, but I always end up in the humourous manga section. ^_^

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Someone tell me about Full Metal Alchemist. It sounds sci-fi and fun

Python

Post by Python »

I keep mentioning this series, but with good reason: Claymore.

The world is similar to Vampire Hunter D's, in that the world is sparsely populated with small towns throughout the countryside. The world is beset by "Yoma" (aka demons) that eat people and can hide themselves amongst the population.

In order to combat the Yoma, an organization exists that has blended the flesh of Yoma into people, thus creating the massive sword-wielding warriors who have silver-eyes and yoma-like powers. These warriors have no given title, but the general populace (who fears and sometimes hates these warriors) refer to them as "Claymores" on account of their giant swords. The Organization sends out these Claymores on a singular basis to towns that have requested help with their yoma infestation.

The more that these half-human, half-yoma Claymore warriors use their powers, the closer they come to "Awakening" and becoming Yoma themselves. In the past, men were more susceptible to Awakening (it has something to do with the experience being pleasurable) so now the organization only uses female warriors.

In addition to your normal run-of-the-mill Yoma, there are also what are called "Voracious Eaters," who are like Super-Yoma. Teams of 4-5 Claymores are formed up by the Organization and sent out to dispatch them. The Voracious Eaters are monstrously large, really bizarre looking and extremely deadly.

Without giving anything important away, the story's main character is Clare, who is one of the lower-ranked Claymores in the Organization. She encounters a boy named Raki in one of the towns she was sent to sniff out and kill Yoma in, whose family was wiped out by Yoma. Against her will, Clare winds up taking him along with her on her travels because he just won’t stop following her.

We soon find out what Clare's motivations are, and why she chose to become a Claymore. The story then delves into the main theme of the series and we get some really cool back-stories that really fleshes out the world and introduces some very memorable characters ( I loooooves Teresa of the Faint Smile). :love:

At it's heart, it's a good ol' story of Revenge with plenty of action, demon-slaying and ass-kickery. There are some pretty epic battles, and the storyline is grand. I had more than one “Holy fuck!â€￾ moments while reading this manga. :) I highly recommend picking up this series or checking out the scanlations online.

Do it NAO!
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad:

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Someone tell me about Full Metal Alchemist. It sounds sci-fi and fun

Hmmmm...
I don't know how much you already know...

Well, it's been a while since I've seen the show myself, but the story is told in a world where "alchemists" use symbols and mental concentration to change things into what they want.
example: one character uses gloves with specific symbols on them to conjure fire at will by transforming air into flame.

The two main charaters are very unique. Taking to alchemy at a very young age, they tried to do the impossible, the forbidden. They tried to bring someone back from the dead.
To perform alchemy you need an equal exchange...something they were not prepared for.
When they cast their alchemist spell not only did it not have the desired result, but the exchange took Edward's (the older brother's) right arm and left leg...and Alphonse's (the younger brother's) ENTIRE body.

The older brother, even while in shock and traumatized cobbled a symbol to allow his little brother's spirit to inhabit a nearby suit of armour so he could keep him from passing on.
Edward received metal replacement limbs from his foster family.

The story picks up with the pair trying to find the Philosopher's Stone, an artifact that could reverse what they had done...if it exists at all.

Their search causes them to join the State Military. This allows us to see how the world fears alchemists...their creative powers almost always leads to madness with horrific consequences.

If I got anything wrong, please feel free to correct me! :type:

Python

Post by Python »

Tyran-ne wrote:If I got anything wrong, please feel free to correct me! :type:

It's a pretty good summary. It's definitely a worthwhile series to check out.

I think the only thing you got wrong was that when they were trying to bring someone back from the dead, Al lost his body and Ed lost his leg. Ed lost his arm when he tried to bind Al's body to the suit of armor. :snoopy:

It's worth mentioning that Ed & Al's adversaries in the series are "Homunculi" named after the seven deadly sins, ie. Greed, Lust, Sloth, etc.
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad:

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

Biscuit Recommends:

Blade of the Immortal

Death Note

Love Hina

Full Metal Panic

and also Full Metal Alchemist, because it is really good (read the manga as well as watch the anime).
Anime just because Vic (Ed)and Travis (Mustang) are great.
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

What is Death Note about? I keep meaning to pick it up. And by pick it up I mean reading online.

Python

Post by Python »

Death Note.

/narrator voice

In the Death Note world, people are killed by "Shinigami," the Japanese personification of Death, who reap people's souls by writing people's names into a notebook and the time & description of their death.

There are several Shinigami and they tend to get bored, so they do crazy things at times. One day, a Shinigami decides to drop his Notebook into the mortal realm, where it is found by a brilliant Japanese student who decides to use the Death Note to rid the world of it's criminals.

Things become complicated when a world-famous detective takes on the case and tries to bring the killer to justice. A lot of the story has to do with the struggle between the killer and the detective and their games with one another. The killer is trying to discover the detective's identity so he can snuff them out, while trying to throw the investigation off of his trail. The detective is obviously trying to bring the killer to justice.

I am currently making my way through the anime, and it is pretty good so far.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

Tyran-ne, have you seen Trinity Blood?