Warner Bros. to Produce Death Note Film

Where otaku get their groove on.

Moderators: The French Biscuit, Tyran-ne

Stocky Boy

Warner Bros. to Produce Death Note Film

Post by Stocky Boy »

http://www.newsarama.com/film/050901-Death-Note.html

Love the first reply.

As long as a token, good sum of money went to the creators of Deathnote, and the WB films don't suck and credit is given to the creators then I don't really have a problem with it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Stocky Boy wrote:http://www.newsarama.com/film/050901-Death-Note.html

Love the first reply.

As long as a token, good sum of money went to the creators of Deathnote, and the WB films don't suck and credit is given to the creators then I don't really have a problem with it.
Yea, none of that's happening. :D

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

I concur with the first reply to that article. The Japanese live-action movies are cool, leave it alone WB. Leave it alone.
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

You just know some annoying, poncely looking kid will play Light as well.

I've bought the two Death Note films. Haven't seen them yet though.

Python

Post by Python »

I have seen both of the two Death Note live-action films. Aside from the guy who played L, I thought that they completely sucked. I would not want to watch them again.

Apparently they forgot that they could use music to amplify the dramatic moments in the first film. What could have been powerful moments seemed really bland without the soundtrack. It truly is amazing the effect music can have on a movie. Without it, the movie seems boring in comparison. I guess that they blew all of their budget obtaining the rights to the Red Hot Chili Peppers' song for the credits and didn't have enough money left over to compose any music for the actual movie itself. -_-

Aside from that, they took the deeply intricate cat-and-mouse games which demonstrated what enormous geniuses both L & Light are, and instead they gave us a watered-down version that really failed in comparison. That is probably my biggest gripe with the films. The movies do not present the epic struggle that the anime exhibited. They dumbed it down too much and the story suffered as a result.

Hopefully Warner Bros. can do it justice.
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad:

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I've finally seen the first film.
I quite liked what they did with the ending. The twist for how Light masterfully uses his genius level forward planning to remove himself from suspicion was quite good.

The film didn't portray the cat and mouse pursuit to the death as well as it could have, which is a real shame considering this was the biggest item of interest in the book. However, it did deliver a reasonably enjoyable film.

Hopefully WB can do it justice, but I'm not too optimistic about that. I seriously don't see why series like these aren't immediately considered for TV serials ahead of films. The pace would be better suited.

Anyway, I also saw the first episode of the anime on Youtube. This was a more faithful adaptation of the manga, however, I found it much more annoying as a adaptation than the live action film. The over the top, maniacal, pen movement from Light accompanied with maniacal laughter whilst using the Death Note almost completely removes the ambiguity of whether Light's motivations and direction is righteous. The way he's portrayed, it seems clear that we're not supposed to feel any moral dilemma as to whether Light's doing the right thing.

Ryuk on the other hand does come across better in the anime. The computer animation for the live action film lost some of the clownish excitment you could see on the otherwise scary demon face.