Anime For Beginners

Where otaku get their groove on.

Moderators: The French Biscuit, Tyran-ne

ChimeraCreative

Anime For Beginners

Post by ChimeraCreative »

Obviously, yes, I don't like Anime very much. But often in book stores I strike up conversations with people that don't even know what Anime/Manga is and I feel obligated to try to recommend some stuff because I don't hate Anime, I just don't like it.

I think Cowboy Bebop is the most universally accepted example. Are there any others considered to be above and beyond the call of popularity?
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

IrishCream

Post by IrishCream »

Maybe Ruroni Kenshin/Samurai X or Trigun
YA BETTA ASK SOMEBODDDAAAAAYYYYYYYY!

ChimeraCreative

Okay, Trigun, that's awesome. I keep forgetting about that one but it's a great gateway for the Anime Unknowers. *reps Irish*

IrishCream

Post by IrishCream »

I'm so fuckin distinguished right now it isn't funny
YA BETTA ASK SOMEBODDDAAAAAYYYYYYYY!

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

Honestly, if somebody told me to watch Trigun and I had to base my future enjoyment of anime on the series, I would never watch anime again. While the action is top notch, the characters and "humor" are some of the most annoying things I've ever had to put up with, and if you recall, one of my suitemates in college was half-retarded.

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Fer girls: Fushigi Yugi
Fer guys: Love Hina

Neither are my "favourite anime" but they are very common and popular gateway shows/manga.

I always recommend Fruits Basket but newbies have been heard to comment "it is too Japanese" O_o

ChimeraCreative

Tivo taped Howl's Moving Castle on a whim last night. Tell me the truth Sarah (since you know me so well). If I flip it on will I get through more than fifteen minutes of it?

CountD

Post by CountD »

Although I was heavily influenced by the likes of Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the Northstar and Ninja Scroll, I really detest most anime.

I wish you all a good time here, though.

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

Howl's Moving Castle is SO MUCH FUN.

The ending was sort of a let down, but I'm not sure how they could have done the ending differently.

There's still some wild ideas.

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

ChimeraCreative wrote:Tivo taped Howl's Moving Castle on a whim last night. Tell me the truth Sarah (since you know me so well). If I flip it on will I get through more than fifteen minutes of it?
I own the movie. :clap:

You won't get passed the first ten minutes. :snore:

Python

Post by Python »

Cowboy Bebop is the perfect gateway drug. Fullmetal Alchemist is also a good one to start with.

If you're a guy, Love Hina is also a good choice.
If you're a girl, hmm. I'm not sure. Princess Nine is a solid show, as is Kaleido Star.
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad:

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Python wrote:Cowboy Bebop is the perfect gateway drug. Fullmetal Alchemist is also a good one to start with.

If you're a guy, Love Hina is also a good choice.
If you're a girl, hmm. I'm not sure. Princess Nine is a solid show, as is Kaleido Star.
Yeah, a lot of people started with Love Hina (including me)

I don't know about Fullmetal Alchemist though. The series is full of those flawed characters that make a show interesting, but it can really be depressing and heavy...'specially fer new people.
Well it all depends on personality.:)

I haven't seen PNine 're Kaleido Star... 've heard good things from my brother though.

Python

Post by Python »

Princess Nine and Kaleido Star are both "Work your hardest, overcome adversity and you will fulfill your dreams" type of anime. KS in particular is very good.
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad: