Buffy TVS # The Latest: Twilight spoilers

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

Buffy TVS # The Latest: Twilight spoilers

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Twilight is revealed to be Angel. However, it is unclear if Twilight is actually Angel or Angelus.

I read the issue late last night so I was a too tired to really think about it but when Twilight's mask came off, and I saw who it was I had to flip back to make sure I was seeing it correctly. Twilight/Angel kept referring to Buffy as "Buff" which is how Angelus reffered to Buffy, but again, Twilight is denying that he is Angelus but is n fact. However, its hard to imagine that Angel would wage war on Slayers and kill 208 of them.

Towards the end of the fight with Twilight, Twilight convinced Buffy to stop fighting long enough to see what his "grand design" was.

I'll need to re-read it again once or twice to get everything but I felt the reveal was rather tacky. The last time we saw Angel in Buffy's life, he came all the way from LA to help her and the last conversation they had was one of the most memorable and to throw Angel back into her life so soon and as a villain just reeked of blah. I'm not saying it shouldn't ever use Angel as a villain or what have you, but it just seemed cheap.

Who knwos maybe the reveal will make it worthwhile.

Another interesting thing is the use of Angel in a Buffy comic. I thought IDW currently held the licensing/publishing rights to Angel.

Your thoughts?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

It's Angel, he stated he's not evil. Plus, if it was Angelus he'd be trying to kill Buffy, not fuck her ;)

And while IDW has the rights to public comics based on Angel the Series, Dark Horse has the rights to publish comics based on BtVS. Which includes all characters created on Buffy, aka Angel. That's why Angel is allowed to be in the Buffy comic.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I think Angeleus would try and do both.

I'm keeping the jury out on this one for a few more issues, need to see where they take it.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'm in love with the issue, and felt it was great. But I also knew that he was Twilight from the fallout back in January. Being said, and knowing there was more to it, I liked the hints and tidbits about a prophecy that he and Buffy are fullfilling.

I'm on a fence as to whether he's Angel or Angelus. I love both of them, and Angelus is my favorite Buffy, and general, villain, so I'd love to see him but I didn't feel like he was 'Written' as Angelus. He tends to be very evil, snide, brash, and cruel in the way he says things, even if they would seem nice and I didn't seem to get that from a lot of what he did. It felt a bit like their fights in Season 4 of Buffy, after he's moved where they punch it out a bit and he's yelling to just stop and listen and he stops her by hitting her, and they have a serious talk.

But I'm curious on whether they do/did have sex, will his newfound powers and abilities protect his sould if he is indeed Angel? Cause then if he becomes Angelus, and has the power of Superman.. They're pretty much fucked.

As for the licensing, yes IDW has the rights to publish Angel comics and they acted and said they were basically a 'Season 6' story, but Joss came out after the reveal in January and said he's had no control and input on the story other then mentioning one possible idea he had if they had gotten the show renewed, and apparently IDW ran with it. He said he isn't considering it canonical, and for me that was all I needed. I may have bought 25 issues, but hearing him say 'that's not canon' means the world to me, because it was utter shit.

And with Dark Horse having Buffy characters, they also have rights to Cordelia, Spike, and Wesley, which could be a very good thing.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Which website has the article where Joss says that Angel: After the Fall isn't canonical? I've been trying to find it cause I really want to change the Wikipedia page from saying "this is canon" to "this is not canon" ^_^

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It was in one of the many many reviews and interviews that hit on either Newsarama or CBR after it was leaked. Maybe the 3 part one he did? I don't remember but I KNOW I read it because I was in utter relief then.

*Edit:

And while he doesn't use the words 'Canon' or anything, he makes it pretty explicit that he's not behind it, and it's not exactly what he'd have done or wanted to do, so he won't say it's definitive. To me, that pretty much says "Non-canonical"