Conan

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

MGM

Conan

Post by MGM »

Is there ANY other reason besides Wood and Cloonan for getting this book? Because to be honest, Conan interests me not at all.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Giant swords?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

In general Conan is an exceptionally well written title. The tone changed when Truman took over writing for Busiek but it remains a great book and one I'd recommend it to anyone.

I'm surprised you were weren't getting this before given your love of fantasy.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I have no interest in Conan whatsoever. What's the title been like and about so far?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The title loosely chronicles Conan's adventures from when he first left Cimmeria. Almost every storyline is self contained so you don't need to know the entire timeline from when Conan began publishing in 03 or whatever nor do you need to know every single thing that happened to Conan since his inception.

Occasionally there are references to an earlier story but its nothing that you need to know in order to understand what is happening right now.

In terms of overall story, Darkhorse is showing the progression of Conan from when he leaves Cimmeria as a young man to when he becomes King of Aquilonia. It's not linear either; so there is a lot of wiggle rool for many, many stories.

Even if you don't have any interest in Conan, this title is a great introduction to the character and it's a very high quality book. I would reccomend picking up the first paperback. The Frost Giant's Daughter. It was done Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'll buy almost everything Cloonan draws. The phonebook even. Hell, I'll buy the McGyver comics she is doing next year.
So yeah, I'm buying Conan.

Also, I'm shocked that Wally got every creators' name right in the thread. See, you don't need me at NYCC anymore. Spread your wings and fly!!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:and Cary Nord.
Who is a Calgarian, and a good friend of a friend of the family.

I got a signed Daredevil 359 from him back when I was probably 9.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

XIII wrote: Also, I'm shocked that Wally got every creators' name right in the thread. See, you don't need me at NYCC anymore. Spread your wings and fly!!
I suppose there comes a time for every little boy to venture out on his own...

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

wolf_2099 wrote:Who is a Calgarian, and a good friend of a friend of the family.

I got a signed Daredevil 359 from him back when I was probably 9.
You know way too many people in the comic book industry for it to be a coincidence.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

This one was. This one was a decade and a half ago.

I think I may try this Conan comic.