POWERS vol 2 HC

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

POWERS vol 2 HC

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Reading it as I speak (or type) it's good but Bendis' wordiness is getting to me. I remember back in 02 and 03 when I thought Bendis dialogue was hilarious and witty and the height of fantastic writing. Now it just seems like blatant padding.

For example, I read an entire page of dialogue between Walker and Pilgrim. The discussion could have been 2 panels. Tops. I realize that is is supposed to be a draw of the book; something to make it endearing, and also Bendis is trying to convey the back-and-forth that two officers have but good lord, I don't any two officers spend that much time repeating each others phrases as questions.

That's my only criticism of this book so far.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Finished reading it. The begining was somewhat slow but it picked up very quickly.

I was not a fan of Deena for the entire first HC and almost the entire second HC because she never really seemed to do anything; I couldn't see what she brought to the table but act as a talking head for Bendis. But after seeing her work her own case after Walker left the department and kick the crap out of the Harvey Goodman, the ringleader for the anti-powers movement, for killing her newly assigned partner, I had a new respect for her.

Also, Walker outing himself to expose the FBI's funding of FG-3 or whatever they were was a huge surprise for me. I really underestimated how deeply for felt for Zora, especially considering his relationship wasn't even really alluded to during most of the story. She was mostly in the background here and there, never at the forefront.

Possibly the best action sequence in the entire second HC was the in flight battle between Zora and Boogie Girl and the ensuing police chase.

More later

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Man I can''t remember much about any Powers book I've read. I just know I liked them.

After a while, although I'm more forgiving with Powers, Bendis's talking heads dialogue has started to sound ridiculous. At some point, he must have done more than just have the other character repeat what the first characte said, surely? Surely we weren't drawn to his writing by the exact same device as it appears to us now?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The last few issues of powers namely since whats her face went of the reservation, have been comepletly forgettable to me.

Maybe it's time to retire the book, ala noble causes?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm hoping the third HC of Powers won't be delayed too much...

XIII

Post by XIII »

The book is taking a long break at the moment. It hasn't been solicitated in a long time.

I remember that the car chase issue got really good reviews at the time.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Thank god. It needs a breather, hopefully it comes back with better pacing.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

In the meantime, Oeming is starting an ongoing at Dark Horse with his wife. A preview has been published on Myspace.
Wasn't interested in it in the least.

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

I really liked Powers but got annoyedwhen they gave D powers. Those few issues were kind of annoying. Last thing I remember reading was the dude getting powers from aliens and his suit activated while he was fucking his new girlfriend.