Fables #86-99

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

Fables #86-99

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

After stockpiling my Fables issues for months, I picked up where I left off: the emergence of the Dark Man as the next threat to Fabletown so soon after having defeated Gepetto.

Frau Totenkinder revealed her true form, a Maiden named Bellflower who sacrificed herself firstborn child and damned herself. She then went and sought out the only person who had ever defeated both the Dark Man and Bab Yaga, a Warlock from a legendary Brotherhood named Dunster Happ

Meanwhile back at the Farm various politics factions were forming vying control of Fabletown. On the one hand there were the witches led by the ambitious Ozma who took control after Totenkinder left; Gepetto offering his expertise in defeating The Dark Man in exchange for complete control; the old Fabletown administration comprised of King Cole, Bigby, Snow, Beauty & Beast and finally the newly formed Religion of Boy Blue

Willingham also reveals of the nature of Rose Red's hatred for Snow White. Their mother sent Snow away after their king wanted to have Snow killed to prevent her from marrying his son.

Frau Totenkinder returns with Dunster Happ to challenge Mr. Dark to a formal duel and uses The North Wind, who is revealed to be one of the great powers, as her second. In exchange The North Wind learns that Bigby has fathered a Zephyr; and has been hiding him for years.

I've criticized Willingham a lot for the lazy manner in which he concludes many of his stories, however, when he writes political in-fighting and completely contained character development stories, he writes them exceptionally well from beginning to end.

I haven't read issue #100 yet but I'll do so soon.

Meanwhile has anyone read the Cinderella mini series and the Peter & Max Fables novel? If so, how are they?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I really enjoyed Cinderlla, but haven't read Peter & Max yet.

So, are you enjoying Fables now? I've dropped it but wondered how it is holding up.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

Read issue #100. It was pretty good, introduced a new statu-quo and had some fun back-up stuff.
Also, it is the first time that a serie I started collecting from #1 reached #100!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Wulf, Fables has been getting better and better, in part because there have not been any major story lines happening with the exception of the Dark Man story and in part because the last 12-15 issues have been about life at the Farm - a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

Issue #100 was surprisingly good. Surprising because it dealt with a major battle with an ending that Willingham didn't pull out of his ass.