The Walking Dead #1-48 - SPOILERS

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

XIII

The Walking Dead #1-48 - SPOILERS

Post by XIII »

OK, so I followed all your advice and finally got to read the Walking Dead Compendium. Issue 1 to 48, that's book 1 to 8 if you're reading in trades.

Did I like it? Well, if I didn't, I obviously wouldn't have spent the time to read all 48 issues, right.

So let's start with the story.
For me, it took a while to take off. Indeed, I didn't see much of the appeal in it and thought it was pretty generic post-apocalyptic stuff. Until they get to the prison. That's the moment it started to do it for me. Them trying to settle there, getting a new life for themselves with what they have, I really enjoyed it.
I also like how Kirkman gives you the feeling that no one is safe as he kills you think are here for the the long haul as cast members. In that regards, the end of book 8 had my jaw dropping.
Also liked that he is clearly influenced by the TV shows. The scenes are cut and some stuff happens off panel but do not hinder the story.
As for the flaws, it's mostly the emotional reactions of the people that seem off to me. Of course, I understand that you can't expect anyone to react in a "logical" way in a world gone mad but still sometimes I found myself thinking that this was not a believable reaction.

The art, now.
God, this book is beautiful. I was already familiar with Tony Moore stuff and knew he was pretty good. His art didn't disappoint me. The shift to Charlie Adlard was jarring at first and I was regretting that Moore hadn't stayed on the book. But it quickly grew on me to the point of me thinking that Adlard is much more suited to the book than Moore. His stuff is just in the right mood, facial expressions spot on. Really great stuff.

All in all, I'll definitely pick up the rest of the serie and had volumes 9 to 13 to my Christmas wishlist. No way I'm waiting for the next compendium!

XIII

Post by XIII »

Do you see the size of that post? For a review? I'm exhausted.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I applaud you for your effort, French boy.

I'm still on the fence of getting trades 11-13 now and hop on the monthlies as of #79 or keep getting the trades.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Also, my reaction to the change of the artists was exactly the same. At first I didn't like it, but over time I was actually very pleased by it. Of course Adlard improves drastically throughout the issues.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'll stick to trades for budgetary reason.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

After reading the first 3 volumes, The Walking Dead is all that is on my Christmas list now. Could it be we've all found 1 book we can all agree upon now?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Well, there's still Meek. Sure, he wants it for Glenn, but can he stand teh art? :D

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

How did it take you all so long to read this?

WHERE DI I FAIL IN LIFE!?!
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

In other news, the entire writing staff of the TV show was canned:

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=25386

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I saw that about the show. I feel like that's a horrible move so far, but I've never watched the producer's other show so I don't know if it worked for him there or not. I get he did re-writes, but every executive producer usually does. I hope it lives up to this season next year, or else I'll probably blame this.

As for this long, I blame my own reluctance and feeling like I'd be too far behind. Now I'm 2x as far behind but don't care. I don't get into the Zombie thing, but this one worked on me. Mostly because (like I was told over and over again) it doesn't focus on them so much as the survivors, which I really dig.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I saw that about the show. I feel like that's a horrible move so far, but I've never watched the producer's other show so I don't know if it worked for him there or not. I get he did re-writes, but every executive producer usually does. I hope it lives up to this season next year, or else I'll probably blame this.

As for this long, I blame my own reluctance and feeling like I'd be too far behind. Now I'm 2x as far behind but don't care. I don't get into the Zombie thing, but this one worked on me. Mostly because (like I was told over and over again) it doesn't focus on them so much as the survivors, which I really dig.
It wasn't re-writes so much, as he was actually writing the show. Or completely re-doing what they handed him.

I've read a few more articles on it, and the writing staff has contributed very, very little to the show.

The problem is, you can't really blame him for changing the writers for the show not being good. You need to look at the writing credits for the show. The weakest episode, so far, imo, episode 3, was the one written by the shows writing staff. Followed by Kirkman's episode, number 4.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Really? I felt the weakest was this previous episode myself, if only because it didn't seem to carry as much tension and horror the last few have. While I felt it was still a good episode, it seemed to pale when compared to the previous 4. Not a single episode has been bad at all, just better than others.

If he was re-writing almost entirely, then I suppose that makes sense. Often they'll just revise, edit, or add/take out select things, or if they feel the need pre-write specific scenes. But if he was completely redrafting entire episodes that seems to make sense.

I simply hope he's not getting in over his head for season 2. With 13 episodes instead and new writers I hope it's not too much to take on.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

He isn't writing season 2 by himself, he is just changing the format to a more British way of writing television.

Pretty much freelancing the work to outside writers, instead of having an in-house team.

Like the Kirkmas episode, or episode 4.

(I have yet to watch 5.)

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Ha yeah I know that he's allowing freelancers. But I'm assuming he'll still be overseeing and editing those same writer's work.

Also, any word on how many, if any, episodes Kirkman might wright for season 2?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Ha yeah I know that he's allowing freelancers. But I'm assuming he'll still be overseeing and editing those same writer's work.

Also, any word on how many, if any, episodes Kirkman might wright for season 2?

No word on season 2 other than there will be a season 2. Probably be a few months before any word.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I didn't read what XIII wrote to realize he loved it. The only time he writes that much is when he really likes something so welcome to the party XIIIy.

As for shitcanning the writing staff, I can see why Darabont would do that. As stated above, Darabont wrote or re-wrote whole scripts and Kirkman wrote one whole episode by himself so it makes sense to let go of the entire writing staff if they're not even doing 50% of the work.