Batwoman Ongoing for June 2010

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Mr Wallstreet

Batwoman Ongoing for June 2010

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

This morning's announcement by DC that Batwoman will get a new ongoing title soon has the word "opportunity" written all over it.

Not only does a female Bat-character get the rare opportunity to carry a new solo title, but artist J.H. Williams III gets the opportunity to try his hand at drawing and writing the character, launching the title with co-writer W. Haden Blackman.

Full article:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Batwoma ... 00414.html

Its not breaking news anymore, this is another title, I am seriously considering adding to my list. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Rucka's run on Detective centering around Batwoman, and I don't really have any intention of tracking down back issues, I am hoping DC collects them into a trade.

I know the new ongoing may not be the same quality as the Detective run given that Rucka is not writing it, but I am strongly considering picking it up. The only thing that has me stopping from just saying yes is the $3.99 price tag. At this point I am definitely not picking up any Avengers title.

EDIT:

Batwoman is not scheduled for a summer 2010 release date which is good. It'll give my wallet some breathing room.

XIII

Post by XIII »

It's summer 2010, Wally, so it won't have much breathing time.

I'm glad it's Williams who's writing the book as he was the closest one to the character after Rucka.

I also hope that nobody screws Renée Montoya now that her creator has left DC.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

This was by far the best thing to come out of yesterday. J.H. Williams III taking on the Batwoman ongoing as both artist and co-writer is fantastic, because losing him and Rucka on the Detective run was really really terrible. I'll be buying this as soon as it hits. I know Williams is only scheduled to do art on the first storyline, but I hope he returns after the second.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

XIII wrote:It's summer 2010, Wally, so it won't have much breathing time.
I meant it was originally reported to have a summer 2010 release date but newsarama retracted that release date. A new release date has yet to be determined by DC.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Wait what? DC has already redacted the release, after only 24 hours?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Newsarama erronously reported that BW had a Summer 2010 release date on their own. I'm pretty sure DC never committed to that release date in the first place given that a week or so ago there seemed to be no immediate plans with Batwoman especially after Rucka left DC. And also, it takes several months to prepare to get the first issues out so DC couldn't realistically have a Summer 2010 release date.

Gotham City Sirens & Streets of Gotham were announced at SDCC08 I think and weren't released until roughly 10 months ago.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

DC Reported on their Source Blog that it had a Summer 2010 release date, which ties in well with when there were original reports of Rucka moving to a Batwoman solo title when they announced that his last story was a Batman/Batwoman one, the last 3 issues he did on the book.