J. Michael Straczynski to write Superman & WW

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Mr Wallstreet

J. Michael Straczynski to write Superman & WW

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/jms-sup ... 00308.html

I was going to drop Wonder Woman after Simone left but I think I'll stick around for, at least, the first storyline of JMS run. I keep hearing great things about him but so far I've only been mildly impressed by his run in Brave & the Bold but I'm willing to give him a shot at a real time hero. However, if his first storyline is universally panned then I won't even bother.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I haven't gotten to read the articles and DCU Blog statements yet, but I did catch the news on that.. and I dunno what to think just yet. I'm glad we know who's replacing Gail even though I don't want her to leave, but haven't yet figured out what I think about it being JMS.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I was planning to drop all Superman titles but might have to decide when JMS starts. May just download instead, definitely gotta cut back comics. Stupid rent and utilities, lol.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

As far as his WW goes, I'm glad he gets to tack on to the 600 issue along with Gail, so that we can get a sort of small taste for what he plans to do and how he handles her before his first full issue, as they're doing with Superman too. He seems to really have an appreciate for Superman, or he's an incredible bull shitter but I doubt that, so I'm sure he'll do a great job there and I recall his Spider-Man getting rave reviews just up until it's end. I'll definitely stick with Wonder Woman for the time being.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I definitely wouldn't say JMS is a bullshitter. Based on what I've read about him he seems to genuinely care about what he writes and what he writes about. If I recall correctly, the main reason he left Spider-man and Marvel was because of the disagreement he had with Joe Q about devolving Spider-man - even though he never publicly said it.

Like you, I'm also curious to see how his WW will pan out. His Spider-man did indeed get rave reviews so he's got a bit to live up to

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

And I don't know why I forgot this until now, but I LOVED his Thor Re-Launch and thought it was incredibly amazing, and the only thing I hated was it's late schedule, due more to the art than his writing. He really handled the myths and legends thing there with incredible ease and style, so I'm hoping he does the same with WW. Now I'm curious as to who will take on the art chores on the book, as I've been loving Lopresti but don't know if he'll be back on it.

XIII

Post by XIII »

He did publicly say that he didn't agree with the way Quesada had him deal with One More Day and that the reason he left Thor was that he wanted nothing to do with the Siege Event.

As for his writing, I liked his more personal stuff back at Image. At Marvel, his Spider-Man quickly bored me with all the mysticism involved. I didn't get to read his FF. The Twelve started great but where is this book now?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm going to start picking up Wonder Woman monthly when JMS starts. It'll be a fine time to jump on board. Prior to Infinite Crises and the Wonder Woman relaunch, I didn't much care at all for Wonder Woman, but in the last 2-3 years I've really come to appreciate her and the role she plays in the DCU.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I just hope he doesn't totally ditch a lot of what Gail has begun working on. He said he really wants to stream her back to who she is and being the main core of the story, and I somehow got the impression he'd be peeling away a bit of her supporting cast which I really hope he doesn't do. I've really liked how Gail had her deep in the Department of Metahuman Affairs with Tom, Steel, Etta, and the gorillas. Please, please, please don't let the book lose her gorilla defenders.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

The House To Astonish boys get a giggle out of DC finally realising they hired JMS and have eventually gotten round to putting him on big name titles.

I could be tempted to check out Superman. Not Wonder Woman (character flawed from conception)

I quite liked JMS's early Spiderman stuff before the mysticism got too heavy. His handling of Aunt May learning of Peter's secret identity was magic. Fucking magic my boys! Obviously JRJ's art was fantabulous.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Really? You're a fan of JRJ? I personally can't STAND his art. It's way way way way way to blocky and square, and just... comes off as a horror to my eyes.

XIII

Post by XIII »

JRJR puts out books on time with really clear storystelling. Yes, his art is a bit square but I'll take him over the likes of Finch or Benes without even hesistating.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Finch and Benes rule.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Finch's faces look like goblin-like disfigured. It's alright I guess. It gets the job done. I need to see his work when he's not paired with Bendis though. His New Avengers work consisted of handing in about 14 pages of artwork for a 32 page book and duplicating certain panels to fill out the other 18 pages. I can't tell if that's got more to do with Bendis's direction or Finch being a lazy bugger.
I think at worse I would describe Finch as having a Rob Liefield arttyle that's actually gone right.

Is Benes the guy who did Birds of Prey with Gail Simone? He's good at what he does: cheesecake and roidheads, but it's just not my proverbial cup of tea. If I was a fan of that style, I think I could take or leave Benes, because there are more prominent artists with that artstyle. I suppose at worse, all I've got to say about his style is that it's a competent, traditonal heroics house style.

JRJR's art style is rather more cartoonish and physiques are distorted. His style manages to achive great story telling affects whereby action scenes feel like they are jumping out of the page.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I will agree that JRJ is consistant and clear, which is getting less and less common today, but it's the overall blockyness that I don't care much for. It makes it hard for me to believe and get into when it seems like his characters haven't been finished yet and are still rough edges that need to be rounded out. But that's just me.

Finch is the hyper detailed that I'm ok with on covers but I agree that at times he's just re using panels. I enjoy his cover work but rarely see him on interiors, though that may change now that he's doing more DC work.

I enjoy Benes, tho my first initiation to him regularly was his JLA run, and a few Superman issues. I'm eager to see him back on BoP with Gail, though for how long he'll stay is what I'm wondering.