Blackest Night: Flash *SPOILERS*

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Tragic Angelus

Blackest Night: Flash *SPOILERS*

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Alright, the second wave of Blackest Night minis has started, and I'll be doing the same thing as the last round. 3 Issues detailed here to keep you all updated!

Issue #1

*Note, this takes place during the last half of Blackest Night #4, and just before Blackest Night #5.

We kick start with Barry making the rounds informing heroes about the Black Lanterns, with near exact quotes from issue 4 of Blackest Night (as we'd hope since Johns is authoring both). We see the hidden graveyard the Rogues have for their fallen comrades, and them getting the message as well.

We seem to get a little clue to the ending of Flash: Rebirth, since both this and Blackest Night take place after Barry's official return. We get a recap on his life and death and return, and about how the original Professor Zoom who returned in Rebirth, is actually resurrected at some point in the near future, and Barry begins speculating if this even is what brings him back.

Cut back to the Rogue's cemetary where Captain Boomerang II, former Outsider and Rogue is joined by Tar Pit to see his father's grave, where he assumes this event will bring his father back, because he wants to talk to him. The two notice a Black Lantern Ring rush into the gravesite of the original Professor Zoom, and as his memory is downloaded to the ring (remember, the Zoom in Rebirth has been resurrected from the death Barry gave him, and the one here is just prior to that official resurrection), Owen rushes off with his superspeed in a funny moment, leaving Tar Pit alone.

We see Barry being contacted by Wally and Bart who's leading the Titans both beginning to head out and help spread the word, while Barry decides to rush to Solovar for consultation in Gorilla City. But before Wally can warn him that Solovar has died, he cuts out of range, and Barry is confronted by the Black Lantern Zoom. Barry reminds himself that this Zoom knows nothing of Barry's death during CoIE, his return, or his own return either, and is trying to trigger an emotional response from Barry. So Barry controls his emotions, and evades BL Zoom, and launches him at superspeed into the air, rushing off to Gorilla City.

As he recalls his relationship with Solovar, he finds the city in chaos. He's sure it's Grood, and as he rushes through the city he reminds himself he can't get angry, and finds a wall painting. It's a large image of Barry, with lighting coming from his chest to each speedster featured with him in Flash Rebirth (Jay Garrick, Max Mercury, Jessie Quick, Wally, Bart, and Wally's daughter Irey who's calling herself the new Impulse). As he realizes this details the information about the speed force he just learned about, and we see Barry colored in Hope.

Suddenly, Black Lantern Solovar reveals himself to Barry, and as he realizes what this means he gets angry, and rushes at him.

Back to the Rogues, who review the info Barry's passed out and the fact that the Black Lantern Rogues have just attacked Iron Heights Penitentiary, the decide to take action. They realize that the First Mirror Master, Trickster, and Captain Boomerang have all risen along with the Top, Rainbow Rider and Cold's sister, the Golden Glider have returned as well. The decide to take them on, and head through a mirror to find them. Just then, the reflection shows the Black Lantern Mirror Master appear, as he shatters their way back home.

Barry is attempting to take on Solovar, constantly yelling about how he's not the real thing. He assualts Barry's mind, asking for Barry's help, but he refuses to give in and pulls the ring off, rushing away from the body. As it starts to re-assemble while Barry rushes over the ocean, he pushes himself faster, scattering the remains, trying not to feel any emotions. Suddenly, we see the Power Levels: 100% and Barry is assualted with images of Coast City. He begins rushing there, calling for Bart and Wally, leading directly into Issue 5 of Blackest Night.

We end with the Rogues appearing just outside Iron Heights, ready to take on their risen friends, in a great image by Scott Kolins, reminding us why he's one of the best Flash artists of the past few years.

This was great, as a lead in to Johns writing the Flash, reteaming of Johns and Kolins on a Flash title, and a sequel to the two's Final Crisis: Rogue's Revenge mini. Johns keeps it tied with the main book easily, but I was surprised this takes place prior to the newest events. makes me think that only 2 issues of a possibly Zombied Barry will be all we get, but who knows really. Just have to wait and see, and I'm ready for more Johns Flash. However, I do wish Rebirth was finished before getting this so it could flesh some ideas out a bit more.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Issue #2

*Note, this issue takes place immediately at the end of the events of Blackest Night #6

We open with the Rogues going into Iron Heights Prison, though they can't find anyone around. As a Guard comes rushing at them calling for help, saying people are still alive below, but Cold simply freezes him. As the move downstairs, BL Mirror Master notices his replacement through a shattered mirror and calls him out. MM destroys the mirror, but the Rogues are then attacked by construct Boomerangs, and we see Black Lantern Captain Boomerang "welcome" the gang to the festivities.

Cold sets up a barrier of Ice, but it's destroyed by the BL Mirror Master, who says Cold never cared about anyone or anything. Except Her. And we see Black Lantern Golden Glider, Cold's dead sister, rush forward and attack him, with BL Trickster, Top, and more behind her.

Cut to Coast City. We get a short recap of the events, as Barry recalls seeing Nekron rise up, the Guardians get captured, Bart and other heroes get called out as Black Lanterns, and then recieve a Blue Ring (Since the last issue led right into Blackest Night #5, and this takes place after the last page of Blackest Night #6, it's nice to have a catch up for those out of the loop).

We then see Barry in Blue running beside Saint Walker, who says the ring should guide his path, not his eyes. Use his spirit to know where he's needed. He realizes he has to save Bart, but he's attacked by BL Firestorm. Saint Walker and Barry respond by having the Blue light create Gen, Jason's now dead Girlfriend, as it attempts to seperate Jason and the BL Ronnie (An extension of a panel in Green Lantern #50, if I recall right). But their interrupted by a speed storm, as BL Kid Flash attacks him.

Bart's calling out that Barry should never have returned, and Barry responds by having the Blue light create constructs of Bart as both Impulse and Kid Flash, who attempt to remove the ring. As Bart tells Barry's he's become a light they can see from across the world, Black Lantern Zoom arrives, saying he can see it too. Eobard Twane has returned as a Black Lantern, and as he attacks Barry, Wally moves in and destroys the body temporarily.

Wally asks how there can be a BL Zoom, since he's allive (Seen in Flash: Rebirth) and Barry realizes that Zoom is resurrected sometime AFTER the events of Blackest Night, so there's actually TWO of him now. One alive in prison, and the other the dead body reanimated.

Suddenly, BL Solovar returns, attacking the minds of Barry, Wally, and Saint Walker.

Back in Iron Heights, the Rogues battle their own, as Golden Glider taunts Cold with the memories of their childhood, father, and him letting her die. She tries getting an emotion out of him, and slowly we see him begin to be colored with Love.

Mirror Master takes on his predesessor, as does Trickster, as Heat Wave takes on BL Rainbow Rider, and Weather Wizard takes on BL Top.

Cold surpresses his love, going 'emotional absent' again, and puts his sister on ice, literally, and then shatters her frozen body, saying he has to move on to the next job and the part of his life with her is done.

As He moves in to save Weather Wizard from BL Boomerang, Captain Boomerang Jr. moves in to stop Cold, saying he's found a way to bring his Father back, and carries him out of the prison at super speed.

End Issue.

Another fun issue, and this is really more about the Rogues than Flash. And I'm really ok with that. Much more a sequal to Final Crisis: Rogue's Revenge than Blackest Night: Flash.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Issue #3:

*Note, this takes place immediately after the previous issue, and just prior to the release of the Spectre in Green Lantern #51.

Keystone City, where Captain Boomerang Jr. is showing a new 'Rogue' how he can get him in with Cold, regardless of the fact that he's a convicted sex offender. Which is something big, because the Rogue's don't kill Women or Children. But as this new guy tries to make a short speech about it, Owen shoves him down a large hole, and when he lands, we see him colored in Fear.

Then we see BL Boomerang launch at him, ripping his heart out, and calling out that he can almost feel his blood warming, and he only needs a few more to live again. It seems Owen has been "feeding" his father to bring him to life.

Back in Coast City, Blue Lantern Barry moves in to take on BL Bart, Solovar, Zoom, and Firestorm. Saint Walker deals with Solovar, and instructs the other two to focus on saving Bart. As Firestorm moves in on Wally, Zoom takes hold of Barry, who recalls that there's two of them now.

Cut to Iron Heights, where we see the living Zoom locked up and immobile after the events in Flash: Rebirth, and the Rogues attempting to make their way out of the prison from the BL Rogues. As they do, they're making their way also to Zoom's cell.

Coast City, where Bart is calling Wally out on how he's out of place. He can't be Flash. He can't be Kid Flash, and that he's better off dead. As he reaches for Wally's heart, lightning explodes out, and the two appear in a white light, where Wally sees the real Bart, alive, and apologizing for what he's saying (Something we see later that ALL the BL Heroes are in. See Adventure Comics #7 or Green Arrow #30, where they're trapped watching themselves attack others). Wally is then cast out as an infection before he can help Bart.

Iron Heights, as the Rogues are backed into a corner, they've got nowhere to run or nothing left to do. Suddenly, all the BL Rogues stop and turn to face Zoom's cell. The stare at him, and a ring begins to call out "Eobard Thwane of Earth." Then, it's cut off, as he glowsa gray/black color, and the Brightest Day/White Lantern symbol comes off of him. Taking advantage of the situation, Cold freezes all of the lanterns in their place.

As BL Zoom attacks Barry, Cold drops a cold-grenade, which will turn the whole prison into an iceberg, so they make their way out. As it goes off, the BL Zoom instantly freezes, leaving Barry free to save Bart.

Wally tells Barry that Bart's still connected to the Speed Force, and he needs to vibrate through him and pull him out of the ring. Barry finally relents, though he doesn't know what he'll say to Bart and as he goes through him, he's in the same white space Wally was.

Bart says he's dead, and he's being called away but Barry tells him he knows better. Though he doesn't Bart like he should, he wants to and they both know Bart has a long way to run. Bart, finally embracing Barry, busts out of his imprisonment and severs the connection. They all then look at the frozen Zoom, and notice that they can see the reflection of the live on in it.

Cold and the Rogues appear to Owen, saying they still have one Lantern left to destroy. He pleads that he'll be back after he feeds on enough, Cold calls him out on how he's being played. BL Boomerang calls out to Cold, who knows where he is now. He asks Owen how many people he's feed to his father. With no response he asks if any were Women or Children, and we see children's toys and purses down in the pit.

Here, Cold brings up one of their only rules to Owen again, and everyone's upset by it. So Cold shoves Owen down the pit. We see him colored with Fear, Love Hope and Avarice, and his father rips Owen's heart out. He's then called to the Black Lantern Corps.

The Flashes then race back to Coast City, where a large BL Spectre can be seen (See Green Lantern #50-51). They race on as the Rogues finally move on to their next encounter.

End Issue.

Not a bad mini, but little really dealt with the main BN. More of a continuation of Rebirth now that Barry and Bart have a relationship of some kind, we learn Zoom will be resurrected, and the Rogues are on the move. This really bridges a bit of Rebirth into Flash #1, in my opinion.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I actually enjoyed this mini the most out of the second grouping. I thought it was cool and well written, the only thing I did not like was my lack of knowledge of the Rouges. I wish I knew more about them and would support a book just on them
All Will be Well!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It was definitely a great one, and I think for me it might have been the best out of the 2nd set as well, if only because I love the Rogues and Flashes. I just didn't feel like it offered much to the main book but rather picked up from Flash Rebirth and Final Crisis: Rogue's Revenge.

If you want more on the Rogue's though, I suggest the FC: Rogue's Revenge 3 issue mini series, because it's all about them, or trades from Johns' Flash run like Flash: Rogues or Flash: Rogue War. He really fleshes them out in those, though the last one is the cap to his entire run so it's continuity heavy. Johns really made the Rogues almost co-stars in the Flash books in his writing.