Sandman: Overture

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

MGM

Sandman: Overture

Post by MGM »

So what were your thoughts?

I thought the story itself was good enough. Not really decompressed, but a bit more speed would've been no problem. It also didn't REALLY leave me wanting more, though.

As for the art, it was mostly good. I've seen better from JH Williams, though. Sometimes the proportions were really off. And what was up with that spread page? It seems like it's supposed to be 3 pages wide, but it's cut in half.

Oh, and WTF is up with all those adds? Was it me, or are there really too many in this comic?

XIII

Post by XIII »

Decided to pass. I still haven't read the omnibus...

MGM

Post by MGM »

In that case just get the TPB.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

House to Astonish guys gave it a big thumbs up. They're really into J H Williams art. I'm not that familiar with it.

I picked it up last week. I'll try and read it on the weekend.

Oh and Mitch, they spent quite a bit of time commenting on the piss poor placement of the house ads. I think I recall the them saying something like, 'very bad editorial oversight'.

MGM

Post by MGM »

That was. In the podcast? I don't listen to it. The ads really distracted me. It was like you couldn't read more than four pages in a row, and then two adds.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Yep the podcast. They reviewed this and Velvet by the way and a few others.

They mentioned that all or the majority of them were house ads. Considering how no external money is being paid for specific placement of them, it is really, really bad to put them on pages that detract from the narrative.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yeah, just read a comment that states it's because of the spread page. That seems illogical at best. Fucking annoying. But, the comic itself wasn't bad.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Issue 2 is pushed back to February... That's strange since JHW dropped artist duty on Batwoman a while ago to work on this.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Wait, it's been pushed two months? This doesn't really bode well, does it?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I liked it well enough. I was a solid story with very fitting art and familiar dialog. The ads didn't bother me as much but were still a nuisance.

The hype surrounding Gaiman coming back to Sandman will overshadow how good the LS is and will make the title itself unable to live up to the expectations set upon it. I'm also fine with the story just being "okay" not every seminal series needs to break the Internet in half.

I look forward to issue 2 (whenever it comes out)

XIII

Post by XIII »

Gaiman is taking the bullet for the delay, saying the script was late cause he was on a tour to promote his book Fortunately, the Milk.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I kept putting off reading the first issue and somehow it paid off. Looks like I'll wait until issue 2 is coming out to read issue 1.