DC Announces another gay character

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Mr Wallstreet

DC Announces another gay character

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Not to be outdone by Marvel, DC has announced at the past Ka-Pow Comic Con in London (Is Stocky attending this by the way?) that
One of the major iconic DC characters will reveal that he is gay in a storyline in June
As opposed to Marvel's revelation of Northstar getting married to his boyfriend Kyle, DC's move feels like nothig more than a (cheap) publicity stunt. Northstar has been out for years so his getting married fits with his character's progression.

DC coming out of the blue saying that a formerly straight character not seen since the relaunch will come out as gay seems like their just trying to cash in the current publicity/controversey surrounding gay marriage that is currently making healdines in North America.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-gay- ... ew-52.html

It would never in a million years be Superman or Batman because WB would never allow it. I think it may be either Kyle Raynor or Wally West. Probably Kyle more than Wally.

Any other bets on who it will be?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

There's pretty good odds on Alfred, tio
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

"a character not seen since the relaunch will come out as gay"

It's Wally West. Just for Edbert.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

People are saying it's likely either Wally West or Beast Boy. I'm fine with Wally West being gay as long as he's in a loving relationship (go the extra mile and make it a marriage?) since family is so important to him in the old DCU.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

A very big part of me would be ok with it being Wally West so long as I'd know he exists in this universe. However, I would miss his relationship with Linda Park as it really drove his character the last few years.

Let's keep in mind too though that there are a number of other characters who've yet to appear in Earth 2, such as Alan Scott, Ted Grant, Sandman, and a few others. It could easily be one of them as well.

But again, if it's Wally, which I kind of hope it is just so he exists, I wouldn't be surprised. Otherwise I would've put money on it being Kyle now.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Neither Alan Scott, Ted Grant or Sandman or Beast Boy count as being "iconic" and when DC management uses the word iconic, I feel like they're referring more to public recognition.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Alan Scott is the Green Lantern. Just not the one everyone thinks of right away. Green Lantern is iconic. Saying Guy Gardner isn't. So it could be Scott so long as its marketed as Green Lantern comes out and not Alan Scott comes out.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Whoever is revealed to be the new gay character, Judd Winnick should stay as far away from him as possible. Winnick's commitement and passion for social issues is commendable but he can't write them for shit.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

*Spoilers
The gay character is Alan Scott.

The gay jokes have begun and the funniest one so far was the one made by Dan Slott who said "It makes sense, given that his weakness is wood" :-P

XIII

Post by XIII »

I just don't see how Alan Scott can be iconic except to 50+ year-old comics fans.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:I just don't see how Alan Scott can be iconic except to 50+ year-old comics fans.
He's not.
He was an easy choice that no one really cares about, but they can call iconic (because he was, he isn't really anymore) to make some headlines.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It's like I said, Alan Scott is t, but the name Green Lantern is. Scott being the GL of Earth 2, DC can put out headline saying "Green Lantern is Gay" and in the article announce its Scott and not Hal like those unfamiliar with the books would think it would be based off of the movie. His title is iconic, while he isn't.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

To be truthful, it does sort of suck that they completely erased his kids from continuity now.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Do we know they've been erased? They could exist eventually from a relationship he had while he was still in the closet, denying what he felt, etc. they just wont be very old yet.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Since this revelation, the internet has been boiling with indifference. Even the trolls who usually surface during controversial releases didnt care enough to start flaming this topic.

If Obsidian still exists, does this mean he is no longer gay?

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

... so, Alan Scott is the Gay Lantern? Lol! Aha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, HA! :D

I hope they make him out and out, in-your-fucking-face-mega-queen gay. Embarrsingly hitting on every single Justice League member except Wonder Woman. :D

They were never going to make a more well known character gay. I think making Gardner guy would have been interesting, but making someone who you perceive as someone who isn't part of the main round up gay is changing barely anything.

Oh and could you imagine making Batman gay? Imagine the shit storm about him grooming Nightwings and Robins.