Wonder Woman #7

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Mr Wallstreet

Wonder Woman #7

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

This has been the most surprising title out of the DC relaunch with its hardcore re-establishment of Wondy and her supporting cast. The latest issue was another shocker. Azzarello really went the mile when he said he wanted to show everyone as flawed characters.

Did anyone else like it?

XIII

Post by XIII »

I like it a lot though I do feel some references are lost on me. Maybe I need to brush up on my Greek mythology.

Also, in issue 6, I had no idea what the hell happened with the candles.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I'm both liking and not liking Chiang's character designs. I'm really liking the bold move towards making them really unique, but sometimes the end result's a bit odd to me.

I'm loving the series though.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I just read up until #26 (the entire run) and I love the comic. Amazingly awesome. I just might need to get this in TPB.

XIII

Post by XIII »

It is great, yes!

MGM

Post by MGM »

How the Hell are they writing Diana in the team books, though? Her own book has nothing to do whatsoever with regular superhero antics.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Yeah, I like how she is supposed to be Superman's girlfriend but Supes has yet to appear or even be mentioned in the book. There is a lot of shitty editorial stuff at DC but at least I like that they are letting Azz do his own stuff and his own story. Though I bet that as soon as he moves on, the book will be brought back into the regular storyline.

MGM

Post by MGM »

The perks of being a superstar writer, I suppose.

Was War modelled after him, BTW? :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

Yeah, thought so too.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

It very much is Azz's book and is separate to the rest of the DC universe. It's kind of weird that this separation has been allowed and it kind of jars with the rest of the universe in that it not only is an extended, on-going origins book, but one that runs scheduled at the same time as the regular universe books. It's Wonder Woman Year Zero for presumably as long as Azz wants it or an editorial mandate to push the series into the current present, which might not be too far into the future with Wonder Woman featuring in Superman 2.

Oh yeah, you guys are right, War does look like our pal, Azz :-)

XIII

Post by XIII »

I think Azz and Chiang are leaving with issue 36. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Wonder Woman is now entering the last of the planned 3-year run of Azzarello on the book.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Should I have been reading this?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I tried the first few issues, but left fairly soon. The depictions of the gods bothered me early on, but now I feel like it's probably the one book I should have stayed with as yeah, it seems there's been almost 0 editorial direction and interference on that book. Maybe I'll look at trades for their run.

XIII

Post by XIII »

wolf_2099 wrote:Should I have been reading this?
I'm surprised you were not! Yes, chase the back issues, it's quite enjoyable.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

wolf_2099 wrote:Should I have been reading this?
Hell Yes! I'm also surprised you didn't pick this up. It's been consistently great since the relaunch with great art to match the writing.

It's also full of so many surprises & changes that it makes the whole "Wonder Woman wearing pants" debate seem laughable in retrospect.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I tried the first few issues, but left fairly soon. The depictions of the gods bothered me early on, but now I feel like it's probably the one book I should have stayed with as yeah, it seems there's been almost 0 editorial direction and interference on that book. Maybe I'll look at trades for their run.
Just want to say "I told you so"

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah yeah yeah. I know you tried to talk me out of dropping it when I did, but I wouldn't listen.