DC in September : let's start from scratch by relaunching 50 books

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

XIII

DC in September : let's start from scratch by relaunching 50 books

Post by XIII »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/201 ... ents_n.htm

It is now official. Following the end of Flashpoint, DC is relaunching its whole universe. 50 titles, all at issue 1, will launch in September.

Only one title is announced so far : Justice League, by Johns and Lee. No info if the title is monthly and if Lee is in for a long run (seriously not possible).

Oh, and all titles will be available digitally on release date. How do I get a creator to sign my digital copy, eh?

Feelings?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I just saw this and was about to post it here, lol (CBR link: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=32563)

I'm not very happy about this. It's purely a publicity stunt, that's for certain. Yet at least it means that with all the comics out there today, Uncanny X-Men will at least be the only title NEVER to have retitled.

I am interested in the Justice League, depending on the cast obviously.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Hmmm, Uncanny X-Men was called X-Men when it was launched by Lee and Kirby, no?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

It started as X-Men but it eventually had Uncanny added to the title. Much like how Thor has switched (in the same series) from Thor to Mighty Thor and back to Thor. It was never actually relaunched, just had an extra word added to it ;)

Bob Wayne wrote a letter to retailers in regards to post-Flashpoint
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/ ... e-digital/
A LETTER ON THE DC UNIVERSE AND SEPTEMBER 2011

To our comics retail partners,

In the time I’ve worked at DC Comics, I’ve witnessed any number of industry defining moments. But today, I bring you what is perhaps the biggest news to date.

Many of you have heard rumors that DC Comics has been working on a big publishing initiative for later this year. This is indeed an historic time for us as, come this September, we are relaunching the entire DC Universe line of comic books with all new first issues. 52 of them to be exact.

In addition, the new #1s will introduce readers to a more modern, diverse DC Universe, with some character variations in appearance, origin and age. All stories will be grounded in each character’s legend – but will relate to real world situations, interactions, tragedy and triumph.

This epic event will kick off on Wednesday, August 31st with the debut of a brand new JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, which pairs Geoff Johns and Jim Lee, together for the first time. (Yes, this is the same week as FLASHPOINT #5.)

We think our current fans will be excited by this evolution, and that it will make jumping into the story extremely accessible to first-time readers – giving them a chance to discover DC’s characters and stories.

We are positioning ourselves to tell the most innovative stories with our characters to allow fans to see them from a new angle. We have taken great care in maintaining continuity where most important, but fans will see a new approach to our storytelling.

Some of the characters will have new origins, while others will undergo minor changes. Our characters are always being updated; however, this is the first time all of our characters will be presented in a new way all at once.

Dan DiDio, Bob Harras and Eddie Berganza have been working diligently to pull together some of the best creative teams in the industry. Over 50 new costumes will debut in September, many updated and designed by artist Jim Lee, ensuring that the updated images appeal to the current generation of readers.

The publication of JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 will also launch digital day-and-date for all ongoing superhero comic book titles – an industry first.

On Wednesday, June 1st, this initiative is expected to be announced in a nationwide feature article, and we’re hopeful the news will be picked up by media outlets around the world. Throughout the month we’ll reveal more details of our plans with articles in both the mainstream and comics press and on June 13th the Diamond catalog solicitations for all of the September titles will be released, followed by the June 29th street date of the print version of Previews.

DC Comics will support this initiative with an innovative mix of publicity, promotional efforts and retailer incentives designed to maximize your opportunity to increase your DC sales. We will discuss additional details of these incentives when we get closer to solicitation later in June.

We’ll be updating you more through email as September nears. But today, I hope your share our enthusiasm for this historic news!

Sincerely,

Bob Wayne
SVP, Sales
DC Entertainment

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah.. I dunno what I'm gonna do or how I'm going to go about all of this.

It's both exciting and nerve racking as it means the possibility of losing certain aspects of continuity and of updating things. There's heavy hints as to de-aging a number of characters, which has me worried for the likes of the stories done to expand and develop people like Dick Grayson, Wally West, Tim Drake, and more. Will Dick still be Batman or will he go back to Nightwing? Or will they push it even further and make him Robin again if this 'making our characters younger' thing goes so far. If he does become Robin, where do Jason, Tim, and Damian fit in? When we get more info I'm going to look at everything I can.

But it's also exciting in that a lot of new and interesting things can happen. I mean, Lee and Johns on JLA? How awesome would that be (For me, of course, and yeah I don't expect Lee to stay around for too long. But who knows)? Really excited to learn just what all the titles, casts, and creative teams will be.

As for JLA, we know that Superman, Green Lantern, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Flash are the core members, and that there will be 14 members total, with Cyborg also on the team. (making me wonder, how does this fit in with the history of the Titans and deaging characters?)

Costumes have been redesigned a bit by Lee. He's redesigned or altered up to 50 costumes for characters across the board. You can see some in the promo image, but more will be rolled out soon I'm sure.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Fuck DC. This is ridiculous. I put this right up there with Marvel giving away incentives by destroying DC comics.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

While I see the two as huge bits of news with plenty of controversy, I don't see them as being on the same level. I see this being much higher, but with fewer outright negative and disrespectful qualities.

Not to say there aren't any, just that there are fewer than saying "Hey, give us the covers of our competition's books and we'll sell you special books".

MGM

Post by MGM »

Fuck Johns once more. I haven't read the article, but fuck him anyway. :D

Sounds like a stupid idea.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm a bit worried...cause this will make me want to try even more books for the first arc at least. Shit. I hope I can resist...

XIII

Post by XIII »

jedispyder wrote:It started as X-Men but it eventually had Uncanny added to the title. Much like how Thor has switched (in the same series) from Thor to Mighty Thor and back to Thor. It was never actually relaunched, just had an extra word added to it ;)
Retitled and relaunched are 2 different things. ;)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:While I see the two as huge bits of news with plenty of controversy, I don't see them as being on the same level. I see this being much higher, but with fewer outright negative and disrespectful qualities.

Not to say there aren't any, just that there are fewer than saying "Hey, give us the covers of our competition's books and we'll sell you special books".
Marvels was more offensive, DC's is way, way stupider.

I understand what they are trying to do,and don't necessarily think it's a bad idea, but think it is a really dumb way to go about it.

The Batmans, Action Comics, Supermans, and Det. Comics have such a lung history they shouldn't be re-number, especially since you know it will go back to normal numbering.

I mean, crap, Marvel just did this pretty much and it lasted 4-5 years before switching back.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

wolf_2099 wrote: The Batmans, Action Comics, Supermans, and Det. Comics have such a lung history they shouldn't be re-number, especially since you know it will go back to normal numbering.

I mean, crap, Marvel just did this pretty much and it lasted 4-5 years before switching back.
This is my main issue right here. Action, Batman, Det & Superman have been around for so long that it's a bad idea to renumber them. DC recently renumbered WW to what her number would have been, had it not constantly been relaunched.

I'm fine, if a little wary, about DC's plan to relaunch everything. However I would not have them renumber the Supes & Bats titles. I'll probably completely re-do my DC pull list now that they are renumbering. For example, I hear BoP will be relaunched without Simone and if that happens (obviously depending on the creative team) I won't be picking it up.

On the other side, Justice League will be relaunching with Johns & Lee. I'm apprehensive about Lee & Johns given that one can't keep a deadline and the other is in love with the 80s but at worst this creative team is decent and it has the characters I want to see in it: Wondy, Supes, Bats & Aquaman & Flash.

Overall I don't think its just the renumbering that has the internet buckling but also the tweaks to all sorts of origins and stories -and what the hell- I'm game. Sadly, it's not as though theres anything truly new or innovative going on in mainstream comics...Image, Darkhorse & IDW notwithstanding.

And yea, its also a huge marketing ploy given that its all happening a month before NYCC so we'll see.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Are you guys doing NYCC this year?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I doubt it.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, I'm really reserving final judgement until I see the final Creative Teams, Titles, and majority of the lineups on the team books, including BoP.

I'm not happy that Gail Simone won't be on BoP, but depending on who takes over, I may still be interested. I'm interested in reading Fabian Nicieza's Teen Titans, as I've liked what he's done on Red Robin, but if the line up for the book is something like Hawk, Dove, Jason Todd, Beast Boy, and other B-C list Titans, I'm not really that interested.

Case in point, the Johns/Lee JLA- While I do love Johns, I am worried now that he's become a writer who's late on books, partnered with a habitually late artist. I don't expect them to last longer than 6 issues, 8 or even 12 at the max for Johns only maybe. But I really really do like the lineup. I've been wanting the Big 7 back for awhile now, and while J'onn isn't revealed on it yet, having 14 members total means he could be. I won't pass this up as it's what I've been wanting: A decent JLA roster.

Again, I can't say what books I will and won't get, outside of JLA, Green Lantern, and most likely Flash, until the full solicits/info is released.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Am I the only one thinking Jim Lee is a really bad choice for a team JLA book?

I don;t know why, I just do. Especially partnered with Johns.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I only think it's bad because of the inevitable delays we'll have. I really don't see him on longer than the first six issues, if that. Maybe continuing covers after that.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Can't remember where I read it but it seems it seems it's Scott Lobdell, rather than Nicieza, who will be working on Teen Titans.

Bob Harras is bringing all his old buddies back. Howard Mackie can't be far behind.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

CBR had reported that it was Nicieza on TT. But again, it's hard to tell as I've heard rumors of a new Nightwing #1 and Batgirl #1, staring a walking Barbara Gordon as Batgirl as well. We won't know anything for a little while it seems.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm redoing my entire DC pull-list based on the relaunches and creative teams. Right off the top some titles on my "to drop" list are because they've been "meh" or because the creative team is changing are:

Superman/Batman
Gotham City Sirens
Birds of Prey
JSA

Ther are one or two more but I can't think of them right now.