DC in September : let's start from scratch by relaunching 50 books

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

And here we have the first 11 of 52 Titles and Creative Teams. From the DCU Source Blog: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06/02/the-new-justice/

Writer followed by Artist

JLA by Geoff Johns & Jim Lee

Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello & Cliff Chiang

Flash by Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato/Francis Manapul

Aquaman by Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis

The Fury of Firestorm by Gail Simone/Ethan Van Sciver &Yildiray Cinar

The Savage Hawkman by Tony Daniel & Philip Tan

Green Arrow by J.T. Krul & Dan Jurgens

Mr. Terrific by Eric Wallace & Roger Robinson.

Justice League International by Dan Jurgens & Aaron Lopresti

Captain Atom by JT Krul & Freddie Williams II

DC Universe Presents by Paul Jenkins & Bernard Chang (Anthology series, expect multiple/changing creative teams)

Covers to all Issue #1's on the link, along with short descriptions.

So far, I'm down for Aquaman, JLA, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, and Firestorm. Possibly Hawkman.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I might try JLA.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

Definitely Wonder Woman but that's it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'll be picking up JLA in monthlies, WW & Firestorm in trades and possibly Mr. Terrific in singles. I like Terrific but the creative team is an unknown quantity for me.

Further maybes:
Aquaman

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

The writer for Terrific is the current writer on Titans, who caught a lot of heat for killing off Ryan Choi to start his run.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Gonna Get:
JLA by Geoff Johns & Jim Lee
Aquaman by Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis
Justice League International by Dan Jurgens & Aaron Lopresti

MAYBE:
Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello & Cliff Chiang
The Fury of Firestorm by Gail Simone/Ethan Van Sciver &Yildiray Cinar

JLA and Aquaman I'm nabbing just cause it's Johns (which means I'm in for at least the first arc). JLI...well, it's Dan Jurgens with Booster leading (or so it appears on the cover). I'm on the edge for Wonder Woman, but leaning towards yes with Brian Azzarello writing. I've loved most (if not all) his work and am intrigued to see his take on Wonder Woman. Firestorm...well, the cover intrigues me and I'm interested to see Simone and EVS work together on a title. Not familiar with the art of Yildiray Cinar all that much so that could be a negative if it looks fugly.

And right now the rumor is that Batwoman (previously scheduled for...6 months ago? 8 months ago?) will launch in September as a #1. Hopefully with the same creative team as before.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

If you want to see Cinar's art, check out Legion of Super-Heroes' current book. He's got a very simple style when put into comics, but I've seen a lot of his commissions and they look fantastic. I really wish he would up his art a bit for the monthlies, but I'll at least get it for Simone and Van Sciver.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I looked at some of the stuff on Cinar's website and it looks nifty. I think the premise of the new Firestorm title just sold me, though:
“Jason Rusch and Ronnie Raymond are two high school students, worlds apart – and now they’re drawn into a conspiracy of super science that bonds them forever in a way they can’t explain or control.”

Anyone know which artist is working Green Lantern? I know Johns is writing it so I'm getting it. I'll also get the Lantern Corps book.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, a lot of Cinar's stuff is good, but others are just really simple. That piece I sent you via Twitter is what he does with markers for commissions and the like. His interior work is drastically different though, and in my opinion a step down from that marker work.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

UPDATE: 4 More new books announced, this time all Green Lantern related.

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns & Doug Mahnke, Christian Alamy

Green Lantern Corps by Peter J. Tomasi & Fernando Pasarin, Scott Hanna

Green Lantern: New Guardians by Tony Bedard & Tyler Kirkham, Batt.

Red Lanterns by Peter Milligan & Ed Benes, Rob Hunter

GLC will star John and Guy, while GL NG will star Kyle, though it does not say he will definitely be the Green Lantern in the book, as it features at least 1 member from all 7 Corps. While it does mention that Johns has told stories with Hal since Rebirth, it does not explicitly say that Hal will be the GL in the main title.

This takes us to a total of 15 confirmed books with official creative teams. Out of these, I know I'll get GL, and I'm really interested in the New Guardians book, but I'll decide once I see the official cast (i.e., is it Sinestro for the Sinestro Corps, or someone else? Carol for the Star Sapphires, or someone else?) I'd rather have Hal in that book if it's going to be the main 7 'leaders' but if not then I'll make due with Kyle for the time being if he's the GL in place of Hal. At least get the first issue then see where it goes from there.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

All 4 GL books for me ^_^

XIII

Post by XIII »

None of them.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Why am I not surprised?

I just think it's going to be interesting knowing you'll be buying Wonder Woman on a regular basis.

Or at least 6 months.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Well, it seems Darwyn Cooke is involved in one title so there'll be this one too. And some Batman and also, Batwoman obviously.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm kinda bummed they're cancelling Batman and Robin. I really enjoyed the premise and hoped they'd keep it up in the fresh universe. Poor, Grant Morrison, I'm sure he won't get an adequate ending that he wanted. That's why it's been so late, he's had to do major rewrites to finish it up. Hoping he travels over to a comic...

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I didn't think Morrison was writing Batman & Robin anymore?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Any idea what Cooke will be involved in, or whether he'll be scripting or drawing?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I meant Batman Incorporated. I was just about to change it when you posted, lol.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Any idea what Cooke will be involved in, or whether he'll be scripting or drawing?
Something called Vigilante. Looks like a western.

Also, the creative for Teen Titans is going to be Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth. The nineties at their worst.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

XIII wrote:Definitely Wonder Woman but that's it.
I think I'll try WW too, since it's Azz and Chiang.

I'm actually bored to hear that DC are doing a renumbering stunt. I'll be interested enough to pick up the odd issue ones, but that's about it. I just see it as DC's recurring need to do an Infinite Crisis Annual Reset, when they feel continuity/accessibility to new readers is a bit of a jumble.
I guess though, that it's a nice idea if you're going to pair this up with launching on-going, concurrent digital versions of the comic. Anyone know the digital price? I'm guessing same as print - for the meantime atleast.

I suppose the end of every Marvel, annual crossover stunt is the same process, but minus actually renumbering all the books. Marvel have effectively done one of the more recent examples of continuity resets with Spiderman, but when DC do it, it's line wide - in for a penny, in for pound.

I really can't say if it's a good idea or not. The trouble with comics is that you must have continuity to a point, but when books essentially have to go on forever, you do need to stick your middle finger up to continuity evferynow and again and hit refresh, to liven things up a bit.