Marvel Sales!

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

Stocky Boy

Marvel Sales!

Post by Stocky Boy »

Alway worth a read!

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog ... uary-2009/

Comments later.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'm gonna pretend I'm moderating and sticky this thread.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Ah thank you very much!

I read a tiny bit of this at the end of my working day.

Have a gander at the Obama issue of Spiderman. Sales are ridiculously high for the book, or any book really.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Article said it best: the Obama issue was just a piece of memorabilia that drove up the sales for Spider-man for that one issue and not proof that Spider-man's sales are increasing.

I'm trying to recall if the same happened with the Stephen Colbert issue; it certainley happened with the Civil War / Spider-man unmasking issue and Cap's death.

Marvel typically has these single issue events whereby a massive increase in sales occur due to some celebrity appearence or "change in the status quo" which is undone months later.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Which then also leads to them solidifying a lead on the sales chart.

Marvel may not be demonstrating an ability to play critically, but commercially they are kings. While DC on the otherhand - Final Crisis :(

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

*skims for relevance*

Thank christ Young X-Men has been canceled. I read the first two issues and they were so bad I've hated the book with a PASSION ever since.
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Also whoa, financial crisis. Was sorta wondering what effect it would have on publishing (comics in particular) and it looks like: not good.
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

Goshin

Post by Goshin »

Fasheem wrote:*skims for relevance*

Thank christ Young X-Men has been canceled. I read the first two issues and they were so bad I've hated the book with a PASSION ever since.

FINALLY!

what they do kill off the last surviving characters x-force/x-statix style?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

Wow, definitely interesting!

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Still pleased to know that Young X-Men is no longer being inflicted on the reading audience.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Fasheem wrote:Still pleased to know that Young X-Men is no longer being inflicted on the reading audience.
I never knew the hate for this was so wide spread.
It pleases me. It pleases me muchly.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Goshin

Post by Goshin »

i miss the old new mutants and generation x u actually cared what happened to those characters
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Did anyone ever read Warren Ellis's like, 8 issue stint on Generation X?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

Didn't he write on Gen X during the AoA?

Goshin

Post by Goshin »

MGM wrote:Didn't he write on Gen X during the AoA?

funny, i remember most of claremont's 70's and 80's run more vividly than the blue and gold team days and all that in the mid-90s.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Ellis' run on Gen X only lasted from issues 63-70. It wasn't that great, I felt a lot of the decisions were made just to tear the team apart. Still pissed at him for killing Synch, bastard lol. He co-wrote the arcs with Brian Wood (like he did with X-Man and X-Force)...

It was X-Calibre that he wrote during AoA, and that was badass! Seeing Nightcrawler 'port someone's head off was something astonishing to a little kid like I was.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Brian Wood saying that there was a a lot of editorial interferences with what Ellis and him had planned. I think.

Goshin

Post by Goshin »

XIII wrote:I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Brian Wood saying that there was a a lot of editorial interferences with what Ellis and him had planned. I think.
same reason claremont left the x-titles in '91. things went okay but after AoA and onslaught everything turned to shit
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MGM

Post by MGM »

Uh... that was rather beyond Claremont.

Goshin

Post by Goshin »

well i remember reading that there was a lotta things he wanted to do but the editors were forcing him to do things and wouldnt allow him to do a lotta stuff, such as killing off wolverine and bringing him back as an agent of the hand, etc..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]