Punisher question

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

Mr Wallstreet

Punisher question

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Has Frank been de-aged yet? At this point he's gotta be pushing 80

MGM

Re: Punisher question

Post by MGM »

I think his origin still is Vietnam (seeing how he's kinda dismissive things Gulf veterans had to do in Ennis' first run). But you know how comic characters age, right?

Wasn't a character supposed to age about a year in 7 real life years? Say Castle was there in the 70's (as opposed to the 50's), and he was twenty-something. Comic-wise, that's make him a thirty-something (aging about 6, 7 years). But it's shaky, since his origin is firmly set in time (just like Magneto's, for that matter).

MGM

Post by MGM »

Oh yeah. I always think of him as late forties, early fifties at most. But that's just not taking the whole Vietnam-thing into account.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

MGM wrote:Oh yeah. I always think of him as late forties, early fifties at most. But that's just not taking the whole Vietnam-thing into account.
I picture him the same age.

And wonder how the hell a man that age with his history can still punish people. His body would be destroyed, But hey, it is a comic.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

With Magneto I feel like you can come up with a reason using his magnetic powers to explain why he is aging at far slower rate and still keep his origin tied to World War 2 & the Holocaust. Same with Captain America; his super soldier serum will keep him young and healthy indefinitely.

With Castle, since he's just a human, you don't have that flexibility and it's much more difficult to get away with every year because the root of his charector Is tied to the Vietnam war

MGM

Post by MGM »

These are not the droids you're looking for.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

In the Daredevil Netflix show he's either a Gulf or Afghan vet. I think during the Max series and other reboots they do move his timeline around.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

With Cap you have something of a cop out as his age won't change but the number of years he was frozen will. Rather than 20 years he's now more likely to have been frozen for 60+ years and found in the mid to late 90's.

Castle is interesting since his origin is firmly rooted in one specific war, like you mentioned with Magneto. I know they've done things where they've literally deaged Magneto to explain his constant age. Has anything from the FrankenCastle arc or similar things been used to explain possible deaging?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Stocky Boy wrote:I think during the Max series and other reboots they do move his timeline around.
This is the Ennis series, right? Because in his first run with Dillon it's made very clear he's a Vietnam vet. Dunno what happened after that, though.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Boom!

Gulf War.

http://www.cbr.com/rucka-storms-the-castle-in-punisher/

In “Punisher” #4, Rucka used the presence of the press to help reexamine and update Frank Castle’s origin. The issue opened with Norah Winters writing a piece about Castle with readers seeing images from various points in his life. One of the images shown is Frank, during his time as a soldier for the U.S. Government. Instead of wading through the jungles of Vietnam as in in previous flashbacks, Castle is shown wearing modern military gear and fighting in the Middle East.

“Steve and I went round and round on this, but ultimately, he wanted to make Frank younger because if he fought in Vietnam, he’s in his 70s, and I get more mileage out of him being in his early 40s. I don’t think that takes anything away from his origin. In the Marvel U, the conflict matters only because he was asked to go and serve his country, and he did. When he returned, the society he was essentially defending betrayed him and murdered his wife and children in front of him,” Rucka said. “The conflict matters less than the fact that he gave his service, and this was the reward. In that broad brush vague Marvel Universe sense there’s always ‘the war’ whatever it was. If that put him in the Middle East rather than South East Asia I think that matters less for the purposes of the Marvel Universe. I really want to emphasize though that I’m only talking about the Marvel Universe Punisher and not ‘PunisherMAX.'”