End of the MU?

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

MGM

End of the MU?

Post by MGM »

http://www.newsarama.com/23276-the-marv ... nding.html
http://www.newsarama.com/23277-marvel-u ... -2015.html

Not sure what to think of it, if true. On the one hand I'm infinitely more interested in great stories than in convoluted backstories. On the other hand backstories do make me care about characters and I've never read a DC title since the New 52 (except WW under Azz, but that title had nothing to do with the New 52). Difficult choice. I think it'd feel rather strange to have, for example, have a different Spider-Man than Peter PArker (yeah yeah, Miles Morales, I know. Or any given clone, I know) or a Rogue who's essentially Ultimate Rogue or AoA Rogue.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

It all sounds very new 52, which isn't a bad thing.

Certainly it's an event that will get existing readers buying more during the months of the Secret Wars prelude, event and post.
Whether it brings in new readers... hmmmm.

I would actually fully welcome the new Marvel world being a merger of not just the Ultimate and 616 universes, but also the film ones.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

New 52 cost me to drop all of my DC titles a little over a year later. I'm worried that this would end up doing the same for me and Marvel, depending on how the X-Men come out of this.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm intrigued by it but I'm not going to do like I did with New 52 where I grabbed half the titles. Hell, I dropped all of DC but Batman Eternal and Batman & Robin! Plus I'm already down to just All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, and I'm already tempted to drop All-New, so I don't see this as a bad thing. Best case sce

XIII

Post by XIII »

It sounds a bit like AoA. All a series ending and new ones beginning with alternate versions of characters. Except this time it might stick.
I'll wait to see the creative teams and where Aaron and Hickman go.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Exactly Arn.

I`ll go with the guys I like, but if it is anything like New 52, I will be reading 0 marvel in 2 years.

The thing with these big jumping on points is they are awesome jumping off points.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Precisely. While I know a lot of shops have had significant numbers of new readers with New 52, but at conventions and other gatherings, I'm also hearing them say that many of their long time DC readers have cut back considerably on the titles they read from the company due to all of it. So it's more of a trade off for newer and potentially/often younger readers. Which from a marketing perspective, would be what you want so long as those readers really latch on and end up committing to for a decade or so. But yeah it's come off more like a trade rather than just an increase for many retailers I've spoken with, and I have a feeling this could do the same.

XIII

Post by XIII »

wolf_2099 wrote: The thing with these big jumping on points is they are awesome jumping off points.
Yep, can't believe the numbers of books I've quit recently because they were relaunched. Like the new Thor. If they had not relaunched, I'd probably still buy it. But they did and so I add to put it on my pull list again and so I took the time to think "Well, running out of space to store my comics. Can I live without this one? I think so" and just like that it was off my list.
I wish they would relaunch that shitty Uncanny X-Men now (this book is really shit).

MGM

Post by MGM »

Why don't you jump off despite it not being relaunched?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

MGM wrote:Why don't you jump off despite it not being relaunched?
I do, but I find it simpler to drop a lot of books with the relaunch, and see what actually ius good.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

MGM wrote:Why don't you jump off despite it not being relaunched?
I don't know. Force of habit? If the trend of the shitty "last will of xavier" continues, I'm out soon.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm collecting a handful of marvel titles at this point. The Secret Wars-end of the MU has me intrigued so we'll see. I'm mostly interested to see how Miles Morales will fit into it. Most of the other stuff I couldn't care less about.