Star Wars By Aaron

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

Mr Wallstreet

Star Wars By Aaron

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Is anyone (besides XIII) going to pick this up?

MGM

Post by MGM »

No.

Well, not me.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'm not picking it up.
1- Running out of shelves space
2- John Cassaday has lost all its appeal to me

XIII

Post by XIII »

Also, comics are getting fucking expensive with the all books being at 3.99 now. At least those I want to buy.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Since I just bought the Dark Horse series that took place in the same time frame and over the same concept, no I won't be getting it. It feels like I'd be paying twice to see the same concept in a different light.

Plus, while I enjoy Cassaday, I feel like the book will be delayed or have an artist change after the first arc.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm skipping it. While I like Star Wars, I never really got into the comics about the movie era. I liked the comics about things not even hinted at or taking place in the same time frame of the movies.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

See, I'm totally the opposite. The only comics and characters I would want to read about would be those during or from the original trilogy. Otherwise, I cannot care less. I had a hard time remembering the names of the characters in Brian Wood's run that weren't actually in Episode IV.

XIII

Post by XIII »

So I ended getting issue 1. I thought I'd give it a try and asked my retailer to save me a copy which was quite a good idea as the books flew of the shelves and he was sold out by Saturday.
First of, not worth the $4.99. Yes it's got more pages than a usual comic book but damnit a third of the book is stuffed with preview art from 2 other SW books.

SPOILERS

I thought it was a good story even though it's hard to believe that the Empire wouldn't know who Han Solo is. And Leia is quite the bitch, asking Chewie to take the shot against Vader than blaming Solo that the plan is going to hell.

The one important thing to notice out of this book though is that Cassaday has offficialy gone the way of Greg Land. Lots of tracing, stiff action scenes. At this point, for me, his name on the cover of a book is a turn-off, not the other way around. Carlos D'Anda was doing a much better on the Dark Horse book.

So in the end, I'd like to come back for the rest of the story but probably won't cause the art is not worth the price of admission. I'll wait for the Comixology sale. :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

This is probably the longest post I've ever written.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Ever.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I liked it well enough but agree it was not worth the price of admission

MGM

Post by MGM »

You mean Arn's post, right?

XIII

Post by XIII »

Of course he does.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Maybe it's a little too early too tell but Aaron seems more action oriented whereas Wood's approach seemed more political and social.

The scene where Vader stopped the AT-AT walker from stepping on him was badass.

I'm really tempted to pick up the Leia ongoing series. It's got a superstar team: Mark Waid and Terrh Dodson

XIII

Post by XIII »

Is Terry Dodson still considered an A-list artist these days? Last I saw of him was his run on Wood's all women X-Men and thought it was not very good.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I still like his work. His interiors sometimes seem rushed, especially during Axis, but his covers are still fantastic. Maybe with enough time to work on this one it'll look good. He's the reason I almost picked it up.