Wolverine #1

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

Stocky Boy

Wolverine #1

Post by Stocky Boy »

I thought this wasn't very interesting.

I've never been a fan of Alan Davis art. I didn't think the art here was that enjoyable and others here have said they thought it wasn't Davis's best.

This is a Paul Cornell written book. He's good. This isn't.

Not much happens here if memory serves me correctly. An alien looking weapon in the shape of a gun appears to be able to control people's mind and make them go on a killing spree. It takes a boy's father who masacres a group of people in a shopping mall. Big vaporising gun you say? Opporunity for the artist to draw Wolverine falling into the line of fire like the curious retard he is for someone who's supposed to be up there with Captain America, the Punisher and the rest of the badass elite.
Anyway, so Wolverine's healing factor is on display and someone else takes posession of the alien gun eventually and falls under the same spell. Wolverine's investigation begins.

It's well written, but maybe if they gave us something else about this weapon, it would have been a nice cliffhanger for the next issue and kept me interested.

Overall, I'm not that keen for issue 2.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I decided to pass on this one. I've never been a fan of Wolverine's solo title, and while a new start to the series had me considering it, overall there wasn't enough to bring me with Cornell and Davis. From the sound of it, I'm glad I passed on this one.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I just read it. It was ok but it felt short for some reason. I didn't like the first page's art but the rest grew on me. Alan Davis is hit or miss for me, it seems.

I felt as a first issue it was pretty bad. It felt like it should be a regular issue, nothing real special. Nothing to drag you in besides "look at Wolverine heal really fast, too fast, again and again."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I've never read anything by Paul Cornell, but I've read a lot good things about him so you can imagine my dissapointement with this book. I wasn't expecting anything genius or groundbreakingly amazing but, bare minimum, I was expecting a solid kick off for Wolverines umpteenth new title.

As Stocky mentioned in another thread, this is a classic case of "angry/feral" Wolverine who was shown as having been burnt to cinders just to showcase how powerful the adversary is.

This method of story plotting happens so much that it's essentially just become lazy writing at this point. It's easy to write a Wolverine story where hes being beaten or burnt to a crisp to get an idea across of how basses the villain is but it would be so much more interesting if Wolverine was incapacitated by some other means that would challenge the reader.

This issue read like a filler: paper thin story, lazy plotting & meh art

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

You might want to check out his Captain Marvel & MI13 and this Demon Knight. These are very enjoyable.

I feel with Alan Davis art, everything looks late 80s. This isn't to say that it's bad, but I don't like it. I also think his faces make everyone look like they are part of the cast of Cats.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I really enjoyed his work on Captain Britain & MI3 but Demon Knight has had its ups and downs.