All New X.Men

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

Stocky Boy

All New X.Men

Post by Stocky Boy »

ALL NEW X.MEN # 8

This issue's main goal seems to be settling the problem of closing off the rest of the concerned Marvel universe, so that the story can carry on without any, 'but what about?' questions. What am I talking about? Well, the question of why haven't the Avengers said anything yet.
At the same time, the issue deals with one of the five old-schoolers meeting their massively different and older self. The interesting thing about Angel is how weird he must be in a nice kind of way. The guy is now clearly very happy in life, but seemingly psychotic.
There seems to be hints that these younger X.Men aren't necessarily the 616 young'uns. It'll be interesting if this amounts to anything or whether everytime this has come up is only supposed to be hand waving the idea away? What idea? If you kill one of the young ones doe the current one die as well?

I'm kind of liking this book. I really want to be more sensible with my expenditure, and I really want to drop this one, because Bendis in the past has demonstrated he can't write team books. However, this isn't bad and the cliffhanger of this issue does make you want to find out how different a particular character will be, when she's discovering how telepathy under a different set of circumstances.

Beast art in this issue is seen from a distance, but looks pretty good.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Honestly, this is my favorite X-Men title right now. But it truly surprises me, because it has a number of factors against it for me.

I typically don't enjoy Bendis' storytelling. However, this is really interesting to me. I like the way he's using characters and I think he's telling a really interesting and intricate story here by bringing these characters to the present. Sure there are ways they can sweep these time travel problems under the rug, but I'm looking forward to seeing how that all plays out.

I usually can't stand the original X-Men as a team. I always like the concept, but they tend to wear out on me very quickly. So long as they're mixed in with a handful of other X-Men, I can enjoy stories with them. But so far this is working for me. I like that Wolverine, Storm, and Kitty are mixed in as well and that helps, but I'm more surprised by how much I'm enjoying the originals. Though so far it's been more about Cyclops, Jean has really been the underrated main player it seems. Loved the ending to the new issue, and can't wait to see how it plays out.

Stocky, I love the concept you've thrown out with these students possibly not being the 616 X-Men. I had never even considered that before now. There are many possibilities that could occur under that and I'd love to see if this is ever dealt with.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The first several issues were very enjoyable as you saw the past X-Men interacting with current day X-Men. Now that we're moving last that, I'm hoping Bendis will move the book along at a quicker pace. The whole idea behind this title is to get past Scott to stop present Scott from going forward with his revolution. So far it hasn't been disappointing, but like others I'm hoping Bendis doesnt screw the pooch on this; i don't want to reach issue 25 and we haven't moved past the point where Wolverine is still yelling at past Scott on every other page.

Also, does anyone else feel that Wolverine is coming off as a giant gaping asshole towards past Scott? I understand Wolverines feelings of anger & rage towards Cyclops for killing Xavier; so past Scott would be a perfect stand-in for Wolverines outlet but damn if it makes any sense. I mean he's got a supposedly younger version of Apocalypse attending his school along with a Baby Brood and spends his time teaching them love, respect & 2nd chances.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Wolverine is being a huge asshole, and it seems really out of character. You'd think he would try and help young Scott. It makes no sense.

I really have no hope this book moves at a decent pace. It's Bendis, the master of decompressed story-telling. Which is a shame, this could move from a good book to a great book with some better pacing.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I forgot that Wolverine is coming across as a bit of a dick in this. I agree, it would seem more likely that Wolverine would be interested in keeping young Cyclops on the right path rather than beat him up for crimes he hasn't committed yet.

Wolverine seems to me to be an example of a character that writers don't always get. As long as 'angry/feral' and 'healing factor/claws' are ticked, they feel free to write the character as petty/dickish and constantly burned to bits as if he isn't the best fighter on the team.

Concerning pace, the frequency in which it comes out seems to compensate a little bit for the sluggishness. What is it, bi-weekly? Although, perhaps given the pace, it's more likely that the book won't have gotten passed Wally's story point before #25.

Still, enjoyable though. I don't want to give the impression that I'm not enjoying it, even though I have more to say about the aspects I'm not enjoying.

Oh, what does everyone feel about the attach method of old and new Angel? I enjoyed the predatory bird pounce. I'm not terribly certain there is a precedence for this though. When did their legs become strong enough to shatter glass? I do like it though. What else could a flying character like old Angel especially be expected to do?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I was surprised by the newest issue, it felt a lot better than the previous issues. The ending had me go "awwww shit!" I also liked the dialogue between the 2 Angels, you could definitely tell the difference in tone.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Yeah, I thought the interaction between the Angels was the highlight of the issue. Old Angel is indefinably weird and unnervingly happy. Younger Angel is picking up on something really bad happened to him and not knowing what it is is clearly very upsetting for him. Certainly doesn't help that older Angel doesn't remember himself and isn't concerned at all about it.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Here's what I want to know: Why is Angel's fate so much worse than the other four's fates?

1. Cyclops right away learns that he is the ultimate 'evil mutant' now and has killed Professor Xavier, and is leading a mutant revolution so now all his friends hate him (current and old to an extent) and he has to try and bring himself back down to the hero side and realize what he did wrong.

2. Iceman- No real change, other than he's still pretty immature and will eventually look more edgy when he ices up.

3. Beast- He mutates, and I believe original Hank has learned this isn't his first mutation he'll go through. While not horrible, it is a big personal shock to know that you won't look like a 'human' as much any more and will instead look like a true mutant/beast.

4. Jean Grey- Learns her WHOLE history when she downloads it from Current Beast's head. She learns she becomes the Phoenix, goes insanely powerful and destroys billions of alien lives, fights her friends, commits suicide, was actually cloned by the Phoenix and is found alive, that her true love Scott Summers married another woman and had a child while she was dead, that she then has to battle Scott's ex-wife who is actually her clone, eventually marries Scott, Scott cheats on her with another woman, and she dies again fighting Magneto.

5. Warren- DEAR GOD NO ONE TELL WARREN HIS FUTURE! The X-Men all avoid the subject! He can't know he loses his wings, becomes a Horseman of Apocalypse by getting metal wings, loses those when his old ones grow back, then he has the ability to shift back and forth, goes a bit insane, and his girlfriend wipes his mind completely and he now has no memories of his old life?

I get that it's not a happy future, but Beast let Jean download EVERY DETAIL ABOUT HER LIFE! How is that not a bad future as well? She's died. TWICE.

The fact that Angel didn't want to stay in the future and no one would tell him what happened to him makes me think he'll be the one who joins Present day Cyclops and his team when someone tells him Jean messed with his head (Emma perhaps?)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I think no one is telling Past Angel because no wants Present Angel to know. Or they just don't know what happened to Warren. I don't think it's because it is worse.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Doesn't Wolverine know what happened to Angel in X-Force with the Apocalypse seed and everything? I didn't read the story itself but was filled in when Angel showed up with amnesia.

And I thought Present Angel did know what had happened to him, but since he doesn't remember basically doesn't care.

I don't know, but the overall avoidance of it without reasoning has bothered me so far.

As for Wolverine being a dick, I never really thought of it much due to the fact that he never got along with Scott and now after they started to Scott and he had a huge falling out before Scott killed Xavier. I think he's having a harder time accepting him.

But then, after reading the comment about how Logan has Genesis, a Brood, and even Quire at the school, you're right. He really should come down a lot easier on Scott since he's willing to give the others a chance.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Jean has certainly suffered the most, but it doesn't necessarily mean there will be direct correlation between anxiety felt and suffering received. It seems likely to me that Scott, Jean and Beast would cope with emotional anxiety better than Warren or Bobby. So, I can accept a story where Scott, Jean and Beast have it revealed to them some severe occurrences in their futures, but deal with it better than Warren who comparatively would learn something less severe about himself. Bobby of course has nothing bad to learn about himself.

Oh and, following on from Cam, I don't think Angel knows anything about himself. He's Warren in body only. It's a totally new Warren in the brain.

Thinking about later issues, I wonder if the Xavier from the past will be the way we get Xavier eventually back into the Marvel universe?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I know the current Warren has no memories of his past, but I thought by now he had been filled in on the original Warren's overall history up until his 'birth.' Is that not the case?

I suppose the emotional coping could be a factor, but it seemed just awkward to avoid the question all together. My only thought was that it would be another factor in Angel potentially joining Cyclops' X-Men team, as one of them does in an upcoming issue.

I suppose the Xavier thing is possible. I'm wondering if we'll ever see him to begin with, or if he'll just be more of a presence without being scene. I don't like the idea of a past character coming to the present to fill the void (i.e. Jean). I'd rather have the actual present Jean back rather than old Jean who eventually has to leave to go back to the proper timeline.

Anyone have another other bets on who might join Cyclops' team? To me Angel makes the obvious choice as he wanted to go home and wasn't told about his future and has now been mindwiped, but that could all be misleading. What do you guys think?

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

The ironic choice would be young Beast, since old Beast brought the crew to the present to stop present Cyclops.

Jean would be an interesting choice considering the power it gives to old Cyclops's team and the dynamics it would create between old Cyclops, Emma and Magneto watching from the side.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

To clarify my earlier statement; Im not saying Wolverine needs to hold Scott's hand and give him a hug; some residual tension between Scott & Logan makes for good story telling but for goodness sake, climb off his nuts.

In retrospect, I found it funny how the subplot of Beasts deteriorating health was resolved by issue 3. Decompressed storytelling? Only when it suits Bendis. :)

Also, even though, I said I'd like to see this stort progress at quicker pace, I recall something Bendis said in an interview to the effect that while this title is ongoing, it does have an endpoint but it's a long term story. So I'm thinking somewhere around 5-8 years like his run on Avengers.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Just read issues 1-8. It's a good book. The art is superb! I think the interaction between past X-Men and present X-Men is nicely dealt with.
As I said elsewhere, I'm just sad this book kind of stole the Jean Grey school teachers from the Jason Aaron book.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

It's Bendis; He can do whatever he wants

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Exactly. Bendis is like the school bully and cool kid wrapped in one with the ego to prove it. He's a nice guy but he gets what he wants at the sacrifice of other writers.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

ALL NEW X.MEN #8
Writer: Brian Micheal Bendis
Artist: Stuart Imonen

In this issue we see a mirrored final panel to that seen in Uncanny X.Men... also a Bendis book if memory serves?
We get a training exercise at the beginning, showing us Kitty teaching the young 5 and addressing a little bit the invasive and forceful use of telepathy seen at the end of the last issue. I thought this was curiously handled with kiddy gloves. Shouldn't Jean have been read the fucking riot act?
We get a moment where young Angel, the one of the five who doesn't like the current situation help remind us of old Hank's motive for bringing the 5 to the present.
The villains are mobilising, which if memory serves me correctly, is actually something started up back in the end of Aaron's Wolverine, where Mystique and Sabretooth are together (also seen in Reminder's Uncanny X.Force). Interestingly, Madame Mastermind is being brought back into circulation.
I should be able to accept the ploy mechanism used to get the two villains into the secured area, but I can't help but feel that 9/10 times, lowly ranking soldiers would still follow procedure and the villains, arrive disguised, would not have made it past the front gate.

I guess next issue, and next issue of Uncanny will give us the two Scotts going head to head in... wait it's Bendis, so not a fight, but a... conversation. :)

Annnnnnd, in typical fucking Bendis fashion, we will get two issues covering the same thing, BUT, from two different characters perspective, so young Scott and old Scott. I don't mean to say that it will necessarily be bad, but meh. Oh well, it will be interesting for me to see if I'm right.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Hopefully only 2 half issues of just talky-talk.

I find it funny the end of Cable & X-Force also had Cyclops show up to talk to someone (Cable in this one). So we have 3 new books end with Cyclops making an appearance to talk...

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Skipping #9 because I'm late and I've just read #10, so...

ALL NEW X.MEN #10
Writer: Brian Micheal Bendis
Artist: Stuart Imonen

A rather talkie issue this week - as expected, However, I was wrong about the issue being told from young Scott's position.

So, this issue seems like it's point was to get a few people from the Jean Grey School (JGS) to go over to the New Xavier School (NXS).
It also addressed old Scott's defensible point about not being in control when he killed Xavier. I've never had a problem with this argument, I've always thought it was pretty clear cut. Aaron and Gillen's writting of Phoenix Scott seemed pretty clear about this and clear to the rest of the cast, so I do find it strange that everyone thinks Scott is accountable for Xavier's death. Resentful, I understand, but responsible - not quite.
The argument that older Scott is stirring the pot of contention between mutants and the rest of society, however, is a story point worth more time and more comprehensible as a plot point.

I thought the cliffhanger was unusually timed a bit earlier than I expected the last panel to stop at. Anyone else expecting to know who the person - obviously from the time travelling five - is who chooses to go over to the NXS?