FF - Spoiler on who dies

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

jedispyder

FF - Spoiler on who dies

Post by jedispyder »

So I wake up early to get the Oscar nominations and also get greeted to this hot pile of spoilers. Fucking news companies had it in the headlines! They can't even let the goddamn comic shops open, Marvel has to go and spoil it even ahead of that. Fucking bastards, I was hoping not to be spoiled since I spent the last couple of days reading 30+ issues to get caught up so I could be surprised when I read the issue today. My fucking store doesn't even open until 11 and spoilers are rampant.

The death is Johnny Storm. He sacrifices himself to save Franklin and Valeria (as well as a human Ben Grimm) from certain death at the hands of the Annihilus Wave. They show an awesome picture in the spoilers of him in a double page spread getting covered in the 'Wave of bugs, very awesome. Wonder how explicit the death scene is, or if it's a "Johnny gets covered in the 'Wave, fade to black as you don't see any flames anymore" type of deal where we're hidden in the dark. It's likely he'll come back within a year or two, that's typical for Marvel.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Yeah, I couldn't care less about who dies.

The prices will skyrocket for this comic (well, what people try and sell it for) over the next few weeks, as the hype is going, then in six months, no one will car and it will be in the dollar bin since it's publication run will have been huge.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

Just read it.

Spoilers

Well, no worth the hype : no dead body means no one is dead. That's rule n°1. So clearly this is death that is going to last just the 12 issue run of FF.

XIII

Post by XIII »

But on its own, what a fucking great storyline from Hickman!!

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I downloaded and read it before work, I definitely agree. We see Johnny just go down in a horde of the Annihilation Wave with him Flaming Off (heh). So it wasn't very specific that he died, it's always possible that he'll be taken hostage for use later. I do love the ironic turn when Ben turned back into the Thing, that was pretty sad.

And yes, Hickman is one of the best writers of the Fantastic Four in a very long time. He works like Morrison, weaving everything together and making sure to reference it at a later time. It makes perfect sense now, that in the 2-parter with Future Frankin & Valeria that Franklin says his favorite Superhero is Johnny Storm. Before I thought it was an allusion to when Johnny took him to the toy store but no, it's because Johnny sacrificed himself for them. Fan-fucking-tastic.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:Just read it.

Spoilers

Well, no worth the hype : no dead body means no one is dead. That's rule n°1. So clearly this is death that is going to last just the 12 issue run of FF.
If you read Quesada's last little interview, he makes this very clear.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

How long has Hickman's run been for?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

He started on issue 570, so 18 issues now.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

wolf_2099 wrote:If you read Quesada's last little interview, he makes this very clear.
Link? Or a quick summary on what he said?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Link? Or a quick summary on what he said?
It was iny my google reader, so I am unsure where it came from.

It would have been Newsarama, or Bleeding Cool.

he pretty much said `no deaths in comics are sure things, they always come back at some some point.`

The main thing was this:

"when Johnny comes back, it will be in a way no one expects"

That isn't the exact wording, but then one thing I remember is that he used the word "when" not "if" so I think Arn is correct.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Gotcha, thanks for that.

I went in today and helped my friend set up for tomorrow. He had 5 issues of FF left, plus 5 he had hidden away in case he forgot some in pull lists. In addition, he had ordered reprints of the previous four issues.

At the end of our work, he had 1 each of all four previous issues, and I decided to bite the bullet and buy it along with today's issue, even knowing things ahead of time.

This is the first time in awhile I've liked the FF. The only other time I did was Marvel Knights 4 when it first started, and every other time I get bored with them in about 2 issues due to lack of interest. This time though, I really found myself invested.

I think having Namor, Silver Surfer, and Galactus as constant supporting characters in the arc helped a lot. I feel like they should reoccur more often in that book to keep me interested.

The Human Ben Grimm issue was really really good. I actually felt incredibly happy for him at the last thing Johnny did for him.

I may pick up the next few issues, but if it doesn't sit well soon I'll probably pass on it again. Or pick up so many issues and then save them to be read at once so that I have an entire story to look forward to rather than single issues.

Bonus: the 4 previous issues had the linked "T-H-R-E-E" cover which was cool, but I was kind of disappointed in this newer issues cover in how it actually didn't match the reprints. First time I've liked a reprint cover than others I think.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

My local comic store didn't know they were supposed to be sold on Tuesday, people were pissed they couldn't get it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Getting spoiled by the liberal elite news media is always annoying.

Regarding the FF itself, I don't really care that he died. I suppose I'd care more if I was reading it and was invested in the story. And also, even if there is a body, it's no guarantee a character is dead.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Ironically enough, that seems to be the opposite of the motto you live by in "So long as there's a body, it's a guarantee they're dead," that gets you "invested" in things.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The funny thing is, Marvel said sell it Tuesday so the media can release it the same day, then they bumped the media interviews from Tuesday to Monday, defeating the whole purpose. The media wouldn't report unless it was news before the comic came out.

This move also pissed off other publishers, understandably so. Marvel telling them to sell a book less than a after the bump to Tuesday delivery is fucking sketchy as shit.

Between this and the cover shredding variant Marvel is getting to be a shittier company as time goes on it seems.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

This is all Joe Quesada's doing. He is both evil and irritating.