Movie costume: Captain America

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

Stocky Boy

Movie costume: Captain America

Post by Stocky Boy »

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... a-costume/

What does everyone think, now that a full profile glimpse of the costume can be seen?

From the concept art, I always thought it was, 'not bad / serviceable'. I would have prefered a more military looking outfit with less superhero elements to it. Given that this costume is set in a real world shared with Iron Man, I would expect it to be as functional as possible and less flamboyant.

After seeing the latest glimpse from the link above, I'm quite impressed. I still think the outfit is basically, 'not bad / serviceable', but seeing it for real makes me think they've done a commendable job at taking a costume that simply couldn't be done as a direct copy from comic book to movie, without looking laughably camp.

So, here's my thoughts on the outfit, broken down:

- The blue colour looks suitably dark enough to veer away from helping the costume look camp.
- Not sure about the same colour blue for the troussers. Would have prefered a much darker/grittier looking blue. Same for the top half really.
- I do like the diagonal webbing as a replacement for the chainmail.
- I like the belt and shoulder straps effect that also blends into his shoulders
- I like that the outfit isn't skin tight, but is sufficiently body hugging.
- I like the helmet, but the collar could have better been a high collar
- I like that he's got a gun. I mean come the fuck on - he's military!
- I think the shield looks much more believable as a throwing object now that it's a bit smaller. I also like how the white bits of the shield are metallic. Looks less silly this way
- In the same vein, it's good to see the whites of his costume look gritty and grey. However, I'm not convinced about the padded abs. Looks a bit like one of those halloween costumes you can buy with the fake abs.

Overall, not too bad. A commendable attempt at bringing a silly costume to the real world by blending the core features (shild, star logo, colours, armored upper body) with a military feel.

What thinks ye all?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I can't help but wonder what the modern costume will look like, as that is the WW2 costume.

I think it looks pretty good.
Cap A had to have one of the hardest costumes to fit the big screen for Marvel.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

wolf_2099 wrote:I can't help but wonder what the modern costume Cap A had to have one of the hardest costumes to fit the big screen for Marvel.
Totally agree. Although I think it could have been better, judged only on the difficulty gradient that Cap's costume offers film makers, the costume is a job very well done.

Are you sure it's the WW2 costume?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Yes, Captain America movie takes place in WW2.

I don't think we will see the current costume until the Avengers movie, or possibly the very end of the CapA movie.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I think it looks pretty good. It really is hard to make that costume look realistic, especially when set during WWII. I agree that the blues could use a darker tone to make it fit in more, but it still looks good. A lot like his Ultimate WWII look. The only thing that throws me is the headgear. I expect it to look more like a helmet than a mask, but it still looks ok.

Though of course, I'm wondering if there will be any digital touch ups to it on the finished prooduct.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The costume looks pretty good. I think they succeeded in taking the classic costume and adapting it into a military uniform as was done in the Ultimates. I only have minor complaints about the coloring; it could be a bit darker but it's not a deal breaker. The face gear looks like a mix between a mask and a solider's helmet so serves both purposes.