Alonso Named Marvel Editor-in-Chief

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

jedispyder

Alonso Named Marvel Editor-in-Chief

Post by jedispyder »

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I haven't really enjoyed the last few years of Joe Q's time as EiC, and though Marvel could be doing things better.

No doubt he did some awesome things for Marvel, but lately it hasn't been great.

Alonso seems like an interested choice, the books he has edited are great, I never saw him as a possibility as Marvel EiC, though, his books seemed to edgy. Look forward to what he does though,
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I told my retailer and he just laughed. I personally like the change, yet my ultimate desire of seeing Greg Land off X-Men won't likely happen since Alonso has been editing X-Men.

I wonder of Quesada will do more art. I know his duty as COO has him traveling a lot but he may be able to do comics again. It would be nice to see him on Daredevil...

XIII

Post by XIII »

Certainly sounds better than Bob Harras... ;)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

jedispyder wrote:I told my retailer and he just laughed. I personally like the change, yet my ultimate desire of seeing Greg Land off X-Men won't likely happen since Alonso has been editing X-Men.

I wonder of Quesada will do more art. I know his duty as COO has him traveling a lot but he may be able to do comics again. It would be nice to see him on Daredevil...
Maybe being EiC will give Alonso the clout to remove Land? We can only hope JoeQ was making him stay on the book.

I'd highly doubt he will be drawing any more books. Sounds like the was doing the COO job as it was, and gave up the EIC job to do the CCO job properly.

I also cannot imagine that it'd be worth the time for him to draw a book, considering the wage differences between where his now and what a mini series would get him.

I don't remember any of the upper management guys ever really doing anything after being promoted, with the exception of a few pet writing projects that were never any good.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

He did still draw stuff on the side while he was EiC (a couple covers here, an arc of Amazing Spider-Man) so it's not strange to see him start drawing again.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

jedispyder wrote:He did still draw stuff on the side while he was EiC (a couple covers here, an arc of Amazing Spider-Man) so it's not strange to see him start drawing again.
I was more saying that he has been far busier lately (since the buy-out?) from everything I've read.

It almost seems like Disney is trying to stream line the company a bit, promoting up some of the guys who have done a very good job running things.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

That is always possible. Any clue who the previous COO was before Quesada got the position?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

jedispyder wrote:That is always possible. Any clue who the previous COO was before Quesada got the position?
Quesada did.

He went from Chief Creative Officer & Editor-In-Chief, Marvel Animation & Publishing to CCO of all of Marvel Entertainment.

So in other words, he went from being in charge of comics, to being in charge of everything.

I am unsure if the position existed before Quesada had it.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, I think Marvel's creation of an exact CCO position came just after DC announced Johns as CCO. I don't think it was an exact position at either company until this last year or so, and that makes sense with the further advent of the need to push heroes out more and more into other markets. Sure there have been heroes in those before, but the level of return they've seen in the last decade probably prompted the need for a specific position to oversea it all.

As for Alonso, I'm surprised he got it over Brevoort. I know Brevoort is getting a promotion as well, but he seemed the most likely successor to EiC than anyone else there. Maybe he passed on it for something else and it went to Alonso then?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Brevoort seemed the logical choice to me given his length at the company and all the stuff he has done.

One thing I wonder, with Alonso's ties to DC would it be possible that we can get some DC/Marvel stuff again?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:
As for Alonso, I'm surprised he got it over Brevoort. I know Brevoort is getting a promotion as well, but he seemed the most likely successor to EiC than anyone else there. Maybe he passed on it for something else and it went to Alonso then?
Brevoort got a bigger promotion, SVP of publishing.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

wolf_2099 wrote:Brevoort got a bigger promotion, SVP of publishing.
I knew he got that, but still passing up EiC is a pretty big choice that catches me off guard. And how much more will he do with that new position?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I knew he got that, but still passing up EiC is a pretty big choice that catches me off guard. And how much more will he do with that new position?
He might not have been given the option of EiC.