Fallen Angel

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

wolf_2099

Fallen Angel

Post by wolf_2099 »

I am just curious. Who reads this? Who enjoys it?
This is one of my favorite comics month to month.

Sorry, I could have sworn I posted this in Indy.
The story focuses on Lee (also known as the Fallen Angel) who is arguably a superheroine residing in the city of Bete Noire. The city is completely riddled with corruption, and supernatural characters who emerge at night, and is managed by the Magistrate, who answers to a mysterious organization. Lee is possibly the only force for justice in the city.

The city of Bete Noire is as much a character as a setting. It has been revealed to be the Biblical city of Enoch. During the day the city has no crime at all, but at night it is a haven for crime and corruption. Known as "the city that shapes the world", some say that the events that happen in the city influence major global events. Bete Noire is often said to possess a sentience of its own; the city decides who enters and leaves. When entering and exiting Bete Noire, Lee experiences the city as simply appearing or vanishing around a deserted road. Time passes differently in Bete Noire than it does outside of it. People born and raised in the city appear to age normally, but outsiders who come to live in it either age more slowly or experience a total cessation of aging.

Bete Noire is run by an organization known as The Hierarchy. Lee has said that even God has no dominion over Bete Noire; it is run exclusively by The Hierarchy. The Hierarchy, in turn, typically exerts its will through the city's Magistrate. The Magistrate, a direct descendent of Cain, manages the city. The position of Magistrate is passed from firstborn son to firstborn son by means of a mystical ritual performed on or after the son's eighteenth birthday. The Magistrate constantly hears the voices of the city and is plagued by visions. This perception causes the Magistrate excruciating pain, and he must learn to tolerate and ignore it. All Magistrates bear the mark of Cain, which renders them effectively immortal and impervious to harm. Magistrates are even able to mentally control the actions of those trying to do them harm. However, it appears that both former Magistrates and agents of the Hierarchy are able to hurt, and possibly even kill, a Magistrate. After passing the duties of Magistrate on to his firstborn son, Dr. Juris attempted to leave the city and experienced a fatal aging effect after he crossed the city limits. During his tenure, a Magistrate is granted one "day off" per year, during which he is permitted to leave the city.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

Never even heard of it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Sigh. Oh well.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Never heard of it? It's by PAD! It started at DC then was canceled and PAD took it to IDW to be able to continue the story.
I'm surprised, Dutchie, surprised.

That being said, I have never read it.

MGM

Post by MGM »

That might ring a bell somewhere.

But I still haven't read it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Sigh. It's really good. Look it up some time, guys!

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'll download it. :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

Might do the same. :D

MGM

Post by MGM »

Issue 1 is okay. Not great, though.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I think it's the book that introduced David Lopez to American comics. He is a good artist, I really liked his run on Catwoman.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Did you read the DC or IDW issue 1?

MGM

Post by MGM »

I think DC #1.

XIII

Post by XIII »

You think? How hard is it to know that really? Lazy Dutch, I should strip you of some rep. Just cause I can. :D

MGM

Post by MGM »

You wouldn't. :mad:

*checks just in case* DC.

XIII

Post by XIII »

OK, I didn't. Thanks for checking.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

It gets better with the move to IDW. But DC was still good.

XIII

Post by XIII »

DC axed it which led to PAD not wanting to work with them anymore. I think.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Which is kind of funny, because I think Fallen Angel has been a successful title for IDW, especially seeing as it has run for almost 40 issues.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Yeah, that's the irony. A lot of titles that are being canceled by the big 2 due to low sales would be big hits for smaller publishers.
I remember when Loveless was cancelled, a lot of members on Azz's board were suggesting the book should move to IDW where the sales figures would make it a huge hit.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I always wondered why the big 2 would cancel those cult faves when they are making money. You'd figure they want to keep them going to appease fans. Maybe they have a bottom line they have to stay above for sales?

What else does IDW do that does well? 30 Days, but what else?