Today I got: Comics thread!

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yes, Day of Judgement is the mini where Hal Jordan becomes the Spectre. It's written by Johns and I'd always wanted to read it. And it was an insanely great deal. I could not pass it up!

XIII

Post by XIII »

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga HC
X-Men: Fall of the Mutants Omnibus
X-Statix Omnibus

Splurged on the cheap-comics site.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

That X-Statix Omnibus is really great. Forgot how much I really enjoyed that series.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Superman no. 199 "The Superman Flash Race Issue". It wasn't in great condition. The issue had wear on it but it wasn't crumpled or ripped and the pages were whitish. Given all this my comics guy gave me a 20% discount on it. Very happy about this purchase. I will post a pic as soon as I can.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Uncanny X-Men 55
Astonishing X-Men: Xenogensis 1-5
Marvel Graphic Novel 4- First New Mutants
Marvel Graphic Novel 5- God Loves, Man Kills

The latter two are the original oversized graphic novels. I got both for $20 total. #5 has great interiors but the cover is well worn and even stained. #4 looks like it's in great shape though. Storage will be a pain however, as they're magazine sized and I don't have a box for them.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

What printings are they?

The will dit magazine bags and boards easily. They're easy to store compared to Treasury's at least!
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

They're both first printings I believe, but I"ll double check. And they were bagged and boarded already, but I don't want to put them sideways into a long box for storage. But I don't have much else I can do.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:They're both first printings I believe, but I"ll double check. And they were bagged and boarded already, but I don't want to put them sideways into a long box for storage. But I don't have much else I can do.
They'll be fine sideways! Spine down.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I probably will. I hadn't considered doing it spine down, so thanks for the heads up!

They are both first prints, as I thought. However, I'm very upset with the God Loves, Man Kills copy. I've been building a very good relationship with this dealer. They've done our show every year, and I've gotten a lot of X-Men issues off of them at our show and other shows I go to. I've built up what I felt was a great rapport and he even let me know he had these books and brought them for me. While I knew the GL,MK wasn't in perfect condition, I was lead to believe it wasn't horrible. The cover is worse than I originally noticed. I should've done some better checking at the show, so that's really my fault. The cover seems heavily water damaged, but only the first inside cover page is also a little damaged. The rest of the book, and back cover are fine. But the front cover is heavily damaged. I'll be looking for another copy to one day replace this one.

It's part my fault for not checking it as thoroughly as I should have and taking him at his word, but I do feel lied to a bit after how much I've spent with this dealer. I'm glad I only paid $10 for it. Any more and I would've wanted money back.

The New Mutants, however, is utterly perfect. I can't find a single flaw in that book other than basic spine wear. Great copy.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I bet you what you paid for it then dealer barely looked at it!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Entirely possible. It works for now, as I've never actually seen a first print of it anyway, but I'll definitely be looking for another copy at some point.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 1-12
Marvel Comics Presents 72-84 (Weapon X arc)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Ohh secret wars!

Read it before?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah many times. I've had a trade of it since I started collecting. I just finally had a chance to own the actual issues. The Weapon X I've never actually read though so I'm looking forward to that.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I read the Weapon X story not knowing what it was and was blown away by it. The level of detail in not just the art but the story was amazing.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'm definitely looking forward to reading it. I was listening to something the other day that asked what are the definitive Wolverine stories, and outside of this and the Claremont/Miller mini, the people couldn't come up with too many solo stories that were highly regarded Wolverine stories. And it got me thinking that I'd never read this one yet I would have agreed with them, so I tracked it down and picked it up.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

That weapon x story is great. Highly underrated

MGM

Post by MGM »

Underrated? The people I know who've read it all love it. As they should, it's obviously the definitive Wolverine origin, no matter what later retcons might imply.

I would see a movie that's solely about this comic.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Did they actually retcon it? I thought they built around it, showing us more info on his origin besides what was revealed there. It's been a loooong time since I read it so I may be wrong.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

MGM wrote:Underrated? The people I know who've read it all love it. As they should, it's obviously the definitive Wolverine origin, no matter what later retcons might imply.

I would see a movie that's solely about this comic.
I just never hear it spoken of when people discuss Wolverine. Perhaps they never read it.

Maybe i's just the people I speak to.