More NYCC News! Creators speak out about the 2 Cons

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

More NYCC News! Creators speak out about the 2 Cons

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The New York Comic Con is going to merge with New York Anime Festival at the 2010 Con. Next year, instead of getting half the basement, both events will get, seemingly, a whole floor to themselves, and will occupy almost all of the Jacob Javits Center.

This makes me feel all warm and squishy inside. I felt a bit bad for the Anime fans the last 2 years. While comic fans had almost 2 whole floors to walk around, anime fans only had half a floor.

Also, it seems the Con organizers have finalized a permanent date for future Cons: October.

<snip>“Our decision to co-locate NYAF with NYCC is the final installment of a strategic plan to place and sequence our pop culture events in a manner that best serves the needs of our fans and exhibitors,â€￾ notes Lance Fensterman, Vice President of the Reed Exhibitions Pop Culture Group. “We are launching the Chicago Comic and Entetainment Expo (C2E2) in April 2010, and we have moved NYCC to a permanent October date, thus providing a spring and fall balance to these two key events which will remain in place as we move forward. Rather than create a third date for NYAF, it was decided a co-location would be better for anime fans, professionals, exhibitors, and partners. We spoke to attendees and exhibitors of both shows before making this decision, and everyone agrees that this will provide an opportunity for both shows to further grow and prosper.â€￾ <snip>

Full article:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090910-NYCC-Anime.html

XIII

Post by XIII »

And why do we have to share with anime fans and their ridiculous cosplay? I don't feel bad for them. I feel murder, beating.
Why does it have to happen at the same date? I'm bummed.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:And why do we have to share with anime fans and their ridiculous cosplay? I don't feel bad for them. I feel murder, beating.
Why does it have to happen at the same date? I'm bummed.
Me too. Partly for what you said, partly because that is the first step it it becoming a non comic comiccon.

Next thing we know, video game floor, then TV movies, then comics take a back seat, ala San Diego.

All in the name of more cash.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Can't blame them I guess.

From our immediate point of view though, this quite possibly means a much more ridiculously long first day queue and possibly even weekend ones too.

CountD

Post by CountD »

there was an anime' floor? WTF!? LOL

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

wolf_2099 wrote:Me too. Partly for what you said, partly because that is the first step it it becoming a non comic comiccon.

Next thing we know, video game floor, then TV movies, then comics take a back seat, ala San Diego.

All in the name of more cash.
Its already well on its way to becoming a non-comic con. On a lot of news websites and publications (Wizard being the most prominent) its billed as more of a pop-culture convention (also see the above article) than a comic con. It has rooms, panels and booths for video games, movies and television shows so looks like its only a matter of time till each even has its own floor.

And I would pay good money to see XIII attack a cosplay person.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I'll help XIII.

We don't do lines anyways, but, the larger the con gets, the harder it will be to jump the que, since security will improve.

I hope this wouldn't affect the amount of dealer tables.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Stocky Boy wrote:Can't blame them I guess.

From our immediate point of view though, this quite possibly means a much more ridiculously long first day queue and possibly even weekend ones too.
I reallly intent to try our "let's enter the front door pretending we know what we're doing and no one will notice" on the FIRST day. Those queues are ridiculous and I'm not taking them anymore.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I think while reading observations on SDCC they said the contributions of video game and film exhibitions didn't really cut into the comic stuff. Dealer areas were simply not as packed. If this holds true for NYCC, the only real bother will simply be people and queues rather than less comic related stuff.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I highly doubt it'd be an immediate improvement in security just yet. More people? Yes. Improvement? No, not the first year. First year will probably be some what of a clusterfuck since they won't know how to get all the kinks between the systems worked out. After about 2 years together, then they'll know a little bettrer on how to deal with things.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I certainly hope we won't the panel stuffing shit that happened in San Diego. (Fables fans not being able to attend Fables panel cause it was full of fans of the TV show panels that would follow)

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

That would seem something that should be high up on a list of things to get sorted.

They should have recorded numbers of attendees to each previous panel and allocate rooms and times accordingly.

Of course, whether they've done this and correctly follow through is another matter.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

As Arn announced on Facebook, tickets for NYCC10 have gone on sale and the first guests of honor have been named: John Romita & John Romita Jr.

Full article:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091009- ... uests.html

XIII

Post by XIII »

Come on guys, roll call!! Who's in?

I am.
Meek? is 99% not
MGM is.
Wally is in.
Cameron, you don't have a choice. Same for Stocky and Sandman.
Who else?

MGM

Post by MGM »

D, he lives there, right?

XIII

Post by XIII »

D! Yes! D, you better be there man!

XIII

Post by XIII »

And Edbert!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

"We confidently welcome any competition, whomever they may be," was the response of Reed Exhibitions, in light of Friday's surprise news that Gareb Shamus' Big Apple Con will to head-to-head in 2010 with Reed's New York Comic-Con & Anime Fest.

As announced in the show program for the 2009 Big Apple Con, which began today, next year's show is scheduled for Oct. 7-10, the same weekend of the newly combined New York Comic Con/Anime Fest, a three-day event scheduled for October 8-10 at New York's Javits Convention Center.

Full article:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091016- ... Apple.html

Ultimately I'm going to NYCC with you guys but I may check out the Big Apple Con just to see what its like. Also, if its got some big name creators who aren't at the NY10CC and haven't been there the last 2 years then I'll definitely check it out.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Big Apple snagged some of NYCC old guests.

This kind of blows.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

This really is a dick move by Big Apple.

They are probably trying to steal business from the people traveling in to NYCC.