The Walking Dead to be made into TV series

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

The Walking Dead to be made into TV series

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Variety has announced that AMC is signing a development deal to produce a series based on Robert Kirkman’s Image comic book series, The Walking Dead.

Included in the discussions is Shawshank Redemption director Frank Darabont and Terminator producer Gale Ann Hurd.

“This is not about zombies popping out of closets,â€￾ said AMC SVP of programming, Joel Stillerman to Variety. “This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way.â€￾

Full article:
http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/08/11/am ... king-dead/

I've been here many times before to know that I shouldn't get too excited over this lest my hopes get dashed like they always do (Preacher) but its really hard not to get excited.

Firstly it'll be a television; then being a series it'll give the characters time to grow and mature and give the writers a real chance to go the distance with many of their stories so it won't be 60 issues crammed into 90 minutes.

The series will be produced on Cable by the AMC network who've produced such hits as Breaking Bad and Mad Men among others so the network seems willing to allow writers and directors the creative freedom they want without too much intereference.

Finally, Frank Durabont who directed Shawshank Redemption and The Mist is coming on as producer, writer and director which awesomeness raised to the third power. Other producers attached to the project will be Gale Ann who was attached to Terminator (not sure which one though. So after all these things one can understand why the boner I am sporting won't go away.

Thoughts?

CountD

Post by CountD »

It will never be as good as the comic.

TV might be a good format.

The zombies better look real.

How graphic will it be? not very....

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The AMC network has officially greenlit The Walking Dead.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111801 ... id=14&cs=1

Lots of things still might happen between now and when it first airs so I'm keeping my level of enthusiasm in check. TV would be the best format possible for this series given that it takes place after the zombies rise and its an ongoing story without an ending.

Also the two main points that D brings up: the realism of the zombies and how graphic it will be are both important. I'm hoping AMC will make an effort to make the zombies look as realistic as possible. As to how bloody/graphic it will be, I'll leave it up to the director. As long as its done "tastefully" and not for shock value it should be fine

And cast the actors who you think should play the characters.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Hmmmmm. Interesting.