Comixology

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

MGM

Comixology

Post by MGM »

Alright, I'm interested. I know Arnaud has experience, who else? Also, what to expect? What is it? How does it work?

XIII

Re: Comixology

Post by XIII »

So, it's an application you can install on phone, tablets. It's also a website.
If you have an Amazon account, you can use your credentials to log in. Will save having to create a username and password.
It's basically an online comics shop. You buy the comics you want and you can read them on your device. Some of the comics, a small minority, can be downloaded on your computer after you bought them. You can also download the comics on your app and read them even if you are not connected to the internet.
You pay in euros, not dollars. (at least in France that's how it works)
The comics are available on the day of their release in comics shops.
The big plus is the money. A 3.99$ comics will cost 3.59€ instead of the 4 euros I pay for it at my local shop.
And they have sales. All the time. Marvel has sales every Monday and Friday. DC has sales every Tuesday. It is usually linked to whatever they have going on. If DC launches a new JLA book, you can expect a big sale on JLA books. During sales, a single comics will cost 0.99$/0.89€
They also do sometimes "Buy one, get one free" or "60% off every Image Comics", that kind of things.
Also, for some publishers, the price of the single drops to 1,79€ between 1 and 2 months after its release.
So you can get a lot of comics for not so much money.
Another plus is that you don't need to find storage for those comics.
I have 5500+ comics currently in Comixology library.

Of course, the big "flaw" is you don't own a physical copy of your book. You can't smell the paper, you can't take it to a con to get it signed. But the comics I really want this way, I still buy at the shop. The "must-haves" from Brubaker, Rucka, Aaron, etc...

As you can see, I'm a believer... ;)

MGM

Post by MGM »

Too much, did not read.

:D

MGM

Post by MGM »

That said, thanks for the info. I'll look into it, although right now I honestly don't see the difference between Comixology and downloading. Yes, the moral distinction is there, but I'm a heartless bastard.