Brian Michael Bendis heads to DC

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

Brian Michael Bendis heads to DC

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Bendis has signed a multi year exclusive deal with DC. No word yet on when he’ll start or what titles he’ll be working on.

Obviously this is a big get for DC. Bendis has been with Marvel for almost the entirety of his career and has more or less been the big Kahuna at Marvel working on, at one point or another, all the big charectors and has pretty much shaped the modern MU. My prediction: Bendis will most definitely work on Batman & JL. I think he might be a better fit for Nightwing as he’s the closest to Spider-man at Marvel.

Your thoughts?

wolf_2099

Re: Brian Michael Bendis heads to DC

Post by wolf_2099 »

I hope this may result in the Bendis of 10 years ago, when he was on DD. If he is writing as he currently is, I won't be bothered to pick up the books.

I am surprised he moved though, I would have figured he had a lucrative consulting fee from movies and TV for Marvel. I guess perhaps he did not.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Given his most recent track records, I'm not too interested in what Bendis will do at DC. Batman seems obvious, especially if you remember his campain to do a Batman/DD crossover way back when.

What I'm curious about is what made him decide to leave.

Does this make Jason Aaron the new King of Marvel?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

From what I read he just said he was ready for a change and a new challenge, so he opted for the exclusive. I was surprised by it, as it sounded like a huge get for DC, but it doesn't make me want to pick up any DC books necessarily.

Instead I wondered what was going to be done with Jessica Jones and Defenders since he's writing those right now. I assume JJ will come to an end and someone might take over Defenders or it'll just be canceled.

I too imagine it'll be something in the Bat family he'll write, and probably eventually JLA. Knowing how he likes to take lesser known characters and spin them, I could see him trying to relaunch an Outsiders, Challengers, or something like that too.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Who is writing Detective right now?
I can't see them kicking King off Batman anytime soon. He is the golden boy at the moment for new writers. He cleaned up for awards last year.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm enjoying his Jessica Jones, but that's more about JJ than about Bendis. Since I'm not interested in his books or in DC books, this is perfect for me. :D

Surprising, though. And hey, if we get a DC book that's as good as his Daredevil or (original) Jessica Jones, I'll be getting it.

But yes, who's the kinf og Marvel now? It's gotta be Aaron, right? Who else is writing multiple (important) books there? Waid, Remender and maybe Soule?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I would assume Aaron is now yeah. I don't know how involved Waid is overall outside of Avengers but he could be one. I almost wonder if Marvel won't do what DC did just after Infinite Crisis, where there were 3-4 writers who were designing the entire company line. Rather than one person calling the majority of the shots, I'd like to see a few people guiding it all.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yes, but I'd rather see someone a bit higher up than 'merely a writer' design the company line. Than again, Aaron is doing a fine job.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I don't disagree with you there. But I also wouldn't mind a group of people guiding it all. I'm hesitant about this Legacy drive, because I'm not sure it'll be overly successful. It might not be until that whole thing gets truly off the ground or is almost over and the next concept/brand/whatever gets up off the ground before we know who's making those decisions.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I don't mind Legacy per se, but I'd like less events. Or if you do one event per year, make it a core book thing and don't have it interfere your entire line for 2-3 months.

XIII

Post by XIII »

wolf_2099 wrote:Who is writing Detective right now?
I can't see them kicking King off Batman anytime soon. He is the golden boy at the moment for new writers. He cleaned up for awards last year.
Tynion is writing Detective and it's also getting great reviews. Plus he is Snyder's boy so he is not going anywhere I think.

XIII

Post by XIII »

MGM wrote:I'm enjoying his Jessica Jones, but that's more about JJ than about Bendis. Since I'm not interested in his books or in DC books, this is perfect for me. :D

Surprising, though. And hey, if we get a DC book that's as good as his Daredevil or (original) Jessica Jones, I'll be getting it.

But yes, who's the kinf og Marvel now? It's gotta be Aaron, right? Who else is writing multiple (important) books there? Waid, Remender and maybe Soule?
Remender isn't writing for Marvel anymore. Neither is Hickman.

So Aaron, with Waid maybe who is doing the weekly Avengers book. Al Ewing, Soule yeah. I don't really care to be honest.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

MGM wrote:I don't mind Legacy per se, but I'd like less events. Or if you do one event per year, make it a core book thing and don't have it interfere your entire line for 2-3 months.
Marvel was saying "no events for X amount of months" post Secret Empire, but we all know that means the events are just in individual book groups. X-Men are doing a Legacy Event. Avengers books are merging for a weekly event. No events just means a few area focused ones. And that means they have another event that is waiting in the wings for the second that time frame expires. I'd love it if events could be 2-3 months but they just can't seem to do it that way anymore. These "summer" events now last from May/June- November/December due to delays, extension of issues, and more. I haven't read a company wide event I enjoyed since Blackest Night & Avengers vs. X-Men. After Secret Wars, I wrote them all off and I honestly don't miss them at all.

XIII

Post by XIII »

At Marvel, this was the nail in the coffin for Axel Alonso.
The new Editor in Chief is CB Cebulski whom I asked in the toilets of a Manhattan bar if he had ever drawn comics (all because Dutchie can't make the difference between Sienkiewicz and Cebulski).

Good move by Marvel. Cebulski's ties to artists are strong.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Maybe he writes a mean Black Widow. :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

In his head, maybe. :D

MGM

Post by MGM »

XIII wrote:What I'm curious about is what made him decide to leave.
Superman, apparently.
https://www.newsarama.com/37390-how-sup ... th-dc.html